Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   RESOLVED: Eleven Rack digital clock/input problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=298138)

Samuel7 03-30-2011 04:30 PM

RESOLVED: Eleven Rack digital clock/input problem

I need help bad....I recently got the Eleven Rack with Pro tools 8 le. Everything is working fine but the Digital Clock. In Pro Tools the clock is set to Internal but in the user options on the Eleven Rack it's on external. From Pro Tools I can change the clock source and I can change the Digital Input back and forth from S/PDIF to AES and see it changing on the Eleven Rack but it won't set to internal when I click on that. It's the same thing when I'm in the Eleven Rack Properties in the control panel....This is the second ER I'm Having the same problem with, took the first one back because i figured it was a dud, but two in a row?! I don't get it. Any help on this would be awesome. I've been racking my brain on this for days. thanks

Intel Quad core
8 GB ram
2 drives-7200rpm
Windows 7 64bit

fly_with_v 03-30-2011 04:39 PM

Re: Eleven Rack digital clock/input problem

When you create a new session in Pro Tools you should be able to select the timing you want. Once you have PT open I think that is the only way you can change it. This is not my area of expertise but it may help.

TheChimp 03-30-2011 05:07 PM

Most likely, this means that some other application has 'grabbed' the Eleven Rack outputs already (Core Audio, ASIO apps etc.), and whatever that app is, it doesn't support your sample rate (I've seen this from time to time with Skype).

Try quitting all other open applications, especially browsers, iTunes, iChat, Skype, anything which has any sort of audio capability.

You might also want to go to your SOUND control panel and set the default sound output to your computer's outputs. This way the other application should not take over Eleven Rack.

I hope this helps!

TheChimp 03-30-2011 05:08 PM

One other thing: Exactly what do you have your Eleven Rack connected to digitally, and how is it connected (ie. bi-directionally, 40-foot cables, things like that)?

Samuel7 03-30-2011 05:28 PM

Thanks for the reply
I think the only way to change the clock source in Pro Tools is in the 'Hardware Setup'. I select 'Internal' but the Eleven Rack stays on one of the only two options it gives me 'S/PDIF' or 'AES'. Pro Tools says it on 'Internal' but the ER says its not. It doesn't make sense.

Samuel7 03-30-2011 05:44 PM

Thanks Chimp
No other apps are running. The only program i installed on this computer is Pro Tools. In the sound control panel 'playback' is set to the computers speakers and the 'recording' input is set to the Eleven Rack....the Eleven Rack is connected straight into the computer with the USB cable it came with. I'm guessing thats the proper set up or am I missing something here
thanks.

TheChimp 03-30-2011 05:48 PM

Actually, when Eleven Rack is connected to USB, you must control the clock from the DIGIDESIGN ELEVEN RACK CONTROL PANEL, not from Pro Tools.

On Win, it's in your main system Control Panel.

Try that! It should do the trick.

Samuel7 03-30-2011 05:55 PM

Chimp, I've been there many times already. I get the same thing when I'm in 'Hardware Setup' in Pro Tools. It says it's on 'internal' but the the Ert says it's on external. I can change it back and forth from S/PDIF and AES no problem but when i select 'internal' nothing happens. Any ideas?
thanks

Samuel7 03-30-2011 06:01 PM

Also....that computer is not even on the internet. I got all my updates and downloads from Avid and that was it.

TheChimp 03-30-2011 06:02 PM

Hmmm....

Do you have S/PDIF or AES/EBU connected to anything?

If not, can you try switching the sample rate (you probably already have, sorry) and see if that allows you to switch to Internal?

Alternately, disconnect your Rack from the computer (unplug USB) and try using the Digital Clock/Input User Option in the HW to set the clock to Internal. If you can't do this (with no Digital cables connected to anything), then you have a bad unit.

Unless you're clocking to something else, this shouldn't be happening (obviously :-) )...

I'll check in every few minutes, see what you find. Hopefully we can figure this out.