Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   HD Native now on Digi website (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=283565)

nst7 10-06-2010 11:51 AM

HD Native now on Digi website

Info is now up, in case anyone didn't know.

IO Composer 10-06-2010 12:30 PM

Re: HD Native now on Digi website

$6000 for a native protools while Logic sells for $499?

Who is Avids intended market with this high-end product? This is not a general consumer option. This is crippled high-end professional gear. If I'm paying $6k for protools, I would like to use my TDM plugins too!

Drew Mazurek 10-06-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IO Composer (Post 1677781)
$6000 for a native protools while Logic sells for $499?

Who is Avids intended market with this high-end product? This is not a general consumer option. This is crippled high-end professional gear. If I'm paying $6k for protools, I would like to use my TDM plugins too!

This is more accurate. From the Airusers blog.

Here's a quick chart to show street prices and what the street price for an Avid system could end up at:

Apple Logic - $500
Apogee Symphony 64 - $995
Apogee Symphony IO - $1700
16 input card - $2000
16 output card - $2000

TOTAL - $7200

Avid Pro Tools HD FREE
Avid PT HD Native - $3000
Avid HD I/O 16in/out - $3650

TOTAL - $6650

crizdee 10-06-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IO Composer (Post 1677781)

If I'm paying $6k for protools, I would like to use my TDM plugins too!

:D

Well most TDM also function as RTAS

I guess the target market would be new users who would not have TDM plugins to use and don't want to spend almost double to purchase them!!

TDM systems are still available at around the same price!

TDM plugs on a native system is NEVER going to happen.

Chris

IO Composer 10-06-2010 01:01 PM

@Crizdee -

Exactly! I've got TONS of money invested in TDM plugs and there are still many that I use on a daily basis that are still TDM only... SoundToys, Eventide, Revibe, etc. This native solution would not work for me at all.

@Dmazurek - Ok, yeah that makes sense but I don't know if that comparison really splits the difference between the bedroom jockeys and the pros with facilities. The guys who are using the Symphony gear are anti-protools, from those who I know.

mike connelly 10-06-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmazurek (Post 1677789)
Apple Logic - $500
Apogee Symphony 64 - $995
Apogee Symphony IO - $1700
16 input card - $2000
16 output card - $2000

Sure, but there are tons of hardware options for running other native software that are much cheaper. $6k or so seems to be the cheapest "native" option for PT.

Dizzi45Z 10-06-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike connelly (Post 1677804)
Sure, but there are tons of hardware options for running other native software that are much cheaper. $6k or so seems to be the cheapest "native" option for PT.

For example. Somebody who is just composing with Logic using samples and perhaps recording an occasional guitar, vocal etc. could pay:

$500 for Logic
$250 for Apogee One
= $750

The cheapest way to do this for Pro Tools Native is:

$3500 for Pro Tools HD Native
$3000 Avid HD Omni
=$6500

I would like to see less of a gap between Pro Tools HD Native and Pro Tools LE.

I also think that because of Pro Tools HD Native, Pro Tools 9 LE will likely not have ADC. This feature alone would help justify the cost for Pro Tools HD Native for many people.

Drew Mazurek 10-06-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike connelly (Post 1677804)

yes, but by all accounts the new Avid I/O boxes sound as good as Apogee. Make sure it's apples to apples.

If all you want is cheap, then yeah, you're right.

Philthy 10-06-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IO Composer (Post 1677803)
@Crizdee -

Exactly! I've got TONS of money invested in TDM plugs and there are still many that I use on a daily basis that are still TDM only... SoundToys, Eventide, Revibe, etc. This native solution would not work for me at all.

@Dmazurek - Ok, yeah that makes sense but I don't know if that comparison really splits the difference between the bedroom jockeys and the pros with facilities. The guys who are using the Symphony gear are anti-protools, from those who I know.

If you already have an HD system, why do you even care about HD Native? Your system already does everything it does and more.

IO Composer 10-06-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philthy (Post 1677809)
If you already have an HD system, why do you even care about HD Native? Your system already does everything it does and more.

I own a facility with multiple systems. I need to consider this as an option for future workstations. My inquiry is not as much of a critique as it is an attempt for understanding.