Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   So, latency on HD Native vs HDX? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=379253)

johnnyv 03-27-2016 11:05 AM

So, latency on HD Native vs HDX?

Hi all,

Now that very few plug-in manufacturers have chosen to develop plugs coded specifically for HDX, and as computers continue to get faster and faster, there seems to be little incentive to going HDX aside from possibly better latency figures and/or a higher track count. Am I wrong?

For those of you who have bought HD Native, are you finding that you are having latency issues when tracking, for instance, a band or something that requires 25 or more tracks in record at one time? I know there was initially a lot of discussion about latency, but now that you might have lived with your HD Native systems for a year or more...how is the latency issue for you?

Would love to know your impressions...

mrtomcat 03-29-2016 12:34 AM

Re: So, latency on HD Native vs HDX?

I switched from HD Native to HDX yesterday and only in a day of usage the difference is quite big.

I never really had issues with the HD Native but I did have to make compromises to be able to record and ultra low buffer settings and when recording drums I would notice some.

The HDX even at higher buffer settings is not noticeable. It's absolutely fantastic. I am very happy I took the plunge

JFreak 03-29-2016 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyv (Post 2344743)
For those of you who have bought HD Native, are you finding that you are having latency issues when tracking, for instance, a band or something that requires 25 or more tracks in record at one time?

No.

chrisdee 03-29-2016 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyv (Post 2344743)
For those of you who have bought HD Native, are you finding that you are having latency issues when tracking, for instance, a band or something that requires 25 or more tracks in record at one time?

The talent probably won't notice a huge difference in their headphones between monitoring/tracking analog or through PT with low latency. However if your tracking with plugins and VI's there most definitley will be a noticable latency issue.

JFreak 03-29-2016 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdee (Post 2345249)
The talent probably won't notice a huge difference in their headphones between monitoring/tracking analog or through PT with low latency. However if your tracking with plugins and VI's there most definitley will be a noticable latency issue.

Why? If you have 64 buffer at 96kHz it's just as good as TDM

vudoo 03-30-2016 09:04 PM

I'm a drummer and do a fair amount of drum sessions on a weekly basis for film and album projects. I own HDN and HDX and have no problem tracking large session with either.

I'm using the MP trashcan and my buffer lives on 32 or 64 at all times.

jbrown7282 03-31-2016 08:03 AM

Only notice it if I mistakenly track through plugins.....But I use a Dangerous for cans and monitoring...Every now and then a Hearback system so No for me....

Matt Hepworth 02-13-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2345277)
Why? If you have 64 buffer at 96kHz it's just as good as TDM

To set the record straight, no, it's definitely not.

96kHz with HDN at 64 buffer is slightly lower than 44.1kHz on a TDM system, but it's over three times the latency of 96kHz (0.48ms) with a TDM system (if you're using HD I/O with both systems for a fair comparison). HDX at 96kHz is 0.50ms. TDM and HDX are that low REGARDLESS OF BUFFER.

HDN is 1.67ms, but only at 96kHz and with a buffer of 64. At a buffer of 128 it's unusable for tracking for most artists trying to record vocals, saxophone, etc..

There are several in-depth studies that prove this, including:
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=14256

albee1952 02-13-2017 04:02 PM

99% of my work is 24 bit/48K. I track bands(4-6 pieces) on HDN at the 64 buffer. I provide 5 stereo headphone mixes from inside the sessions(5 AUX sends on each track) and never hear any complaints re latency. I keep high-latency plugins inactive while tracking(and nobody seems to mind the 7 samples of compensation for the bass amp sim):o

JFreak 02-13-2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propower (Post 2412444)
Does anyone ever compare Mic Preamps? (...) Every listen to different Converters? Speakers?

Many threads for that topic, but please let's not go there in this one...