Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Stereo or Multi mono Buss compressor (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403462)

bonzerboy 02-18-2019 04:17 PM

Stereo or Multi mono Buss compressor

Anyone see any advantages of using a multi mono compressor on a mix buss instead of stereo?

amagras 02-18-2019 04:39 PM

Re: Stereo or Multi mono Buss compressor

It depends, I mix a good amount of Afro-Cuban stuff which is heavy on toms and other panned percussion so I use multi mono, the same with the limiter and most instrument groups.

bonzerboy 02-18-2019 05:25 PM

I could see that but what are your thoughts on using multi mono on the final master Buss ?

Sardi 02-18-2019 05:57 PM

It can increase width but it can also skew the stereo image.

Like most things, it’s not a one size fits all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amagras 02-18-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2517039)
It can increase width but it can also skew the stereo image.

Like most things, it’s not a one size fits all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, I discovered this the hard way (like everyone else I suppose), I was mixing a song and there was a point where I couldn't make it sound more clear then I realized it was the master channel and all the processes in stereo, it was heavy on toms. In pop mixes where everything is equally spread and there's no much rhythmic variety using stereo processes can help creating a more "glued" sound but dual mono preserve the stereo image better.
I can only write about my experiences but your best option is to use them extensively to learn to identify which one sounds better and when.

musicman691 02-19-2019 10:40 AM

Or use a compressor that allows unlinking the sidechains from each other. That way you have a choice of how to go.

bonzerboy 02-19-2019 02:22 PM

I remember having a compressor in multi mono and did not realize the settings were almost opposite of each other and created a mess in the print. that is what got me thinking why not use muti but i see as in anything audio,, listen listen listen

amagras 02-19-2019 02:56 PM

By default in Pro Tools both channels of a multi mono plugin are chained so you don't accidentally dial in different settings on each channel unless you want to.

bonzerboy 02-19-2019 04:24 PM

that is what happened i un linked by accident and set one side

BillieWillie 02-23-2019 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2517031)
It depends, I mix a good amount of Afro-Cuban stuff which is heavy on toms and other panned percussion so I use multi mono, the same with the limiter and most instrument groups.

+1