Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   creating stutter effect in PT (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=286796)

bonfi64 11-11-2010 05:05 PM

creating stutter effect in PT

hi, i'm trying to create a stutter effect in PTHD2 but all i get are clicks when automate the mute, either using 1/16 1/32 1/64 grid resolution, this is what i learn from different tutorials on the web, two ways: making automation with the pencil tool, or muting the regions. automating volume with square pattern makes only clicks. I'm on HD2, version 8.1cs2 mac pro dual core 2.66
no clicks are allowed on a 7000k DAW!!!

Top Jimmy 11-11-2010 05:15 PM

Re: creating stutter effect in PT

There are two problems with trying to do this with mute automation. First, you get clicks, and second, automation is not sample accurate.

It would be better to do this by editing the audio region instead. In grid mode, you can delete the parts you want muted, and then apply short fades to the kept regions to eliminate any clicks.

bonfi64 11-11-2010 05:25 PM

thanks jimmy, i didn't try this alternative way just because i wanted to try the fastest way (automating mute) so automation is not sample accurate with volume probably because is to fast 1/16 or 1/32, but in the tutorial on you tube they did it!!! (maybe was an LE sistem 7.4) going to try muting by hand and fades, thanks

TimNielsen 11-11-2010 05:31 PM

If you turn the auto fade in/out setting in preferences to 10ms, you might get rid of the pops and then you wouldn't have to manually creates fades.

But I've done this as the other poster said, by making edits, and either deleting or muting pieces. It's time consuming, but it works.

Mooger Fooger Ring Modulator can do a 'similar' sound, not quite the same, but might work for what you want it to do as well.

Soundtrack2life 11-11-2010 06:31 PM

I am pretty sure the Transfuser plugin does the "stutter" effect
Joe

bonfi64 11-11-2010 06:38 PM

yeah, i remember the bold guy on digi tv saying: i'm having so much fun using transfuser. will try that one also thanks to a---l----l----!

KingFish 11-11-2010 07:38 PM

Here's My Little Workflow For The Stutter Effect

There are MANY other way's to achieve this, but I read this thread, Knowing I wanted to do this edit, so i pulled it up and did a Screen cap.

Philthy 11-11-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonfi64 (Post 1700464)
thanks jimmy, i didn't try this alternative way just because i wanted to try the fastest way (automating mute) so automation is not sample accurate with volume probably because is to fast 1/16 or 1/32, but in the tutorial on you tube they did it!!! (maybe was an LE sistem 7.4) going to try muting by hand and fades, thanks

Create a new track next to the track you want to stutter, with the same number of channels. Consolidate a blank clip in the first space you want to mute. Cut and paste the blank clip in the pattern you want to mute; then use objectgrabber mode and shift the blank regions onto your track. Use short crossfades to avoid clicks.

KingFish 11-11-2010 07:43 PM

Hey Phil - thats a clever Workflow. thats the beauty of Pro-Tools - 10 different ways to accomplish the same thing.

JC925602 11-12-2010 06:50 AM

You can trigger a gate with structure free. Change in duration and tempo are easier than moving automation points.

JC