Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   click anomalies, using Roland TD-10 to trigger REASON (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=207930)

Jenk2k 10-23-2007 08:44 PM

click anomalies, using Roland TD-10 to trigger REASON

I'm noticing that no matter what kind of gear I use to trigger midi on my machine, it seems to really blow. First I tried a keystation 88 through teh usb port , and experienced horrible latency. Then I experienced it through the DIGI's midi inputs...same results....

Now im using a Roland TD-10 to try and trigger reason drum kit sounds. I'm noticing that the midi data is ending up off the grid. Way off. The latency makes it impossible. Also, some of the hi hat trigger control is cutting off other midi notes. The click seems to flex frequently and makes tracking drums nearly impossible.

I run LE 7.3.1, 2.5GB of RAM, an AMD 3000+ XP and windows XP with all supported hardware. I generally never get buffer errors any more and everything seems to be rather smooth, except for these wierd click anomalies. These click anomalies make it absolutely impossible to track accurately. It is to the point where I may just have to record an audio click in another program and import it just to use that. Obviously, this is time consuming, and I'd rather use PTLE the way it was designed.

I've messed with the buffer settings and I'm ready to throw my hands up tonite. Any ideas?

spkguitar 10-23-2007 08:49 PM

Re: click anomalies, using Roland TD-10 to trigger REASON

From your other thread:
Quote:

Is your Pro Tools and all other peripheral software installed into the default location? The only other time I've seen MIDI timing errors (on non-multi-core systems) is when Pro Tools is installed into a different location than default.

After that, we would need details about your system, including any other software and plugins you have installed (inlcuding version numbers), and any and all other hardware you are using to be able to help you further.

We would still need that information to help you, computer specs fro mSiSoft Sandra (as directed in the General Troubleshooting thread) are extremely important.

Jenk2k 10-24-2007 06:12 AM

I apologize - I missed the response. Please note that in my tracking hardware profile, printers, network cards, even the sound card...and any other unecessary services are disabled. They may list below but only because I used the machine to get on the web to post this. Another thing I forgot to mention...I've tried all the MIDI devices through a Midisport Uno and got the same exact results no matter how I run it.

Yes, pro tools is installed to the default directory on the root c:\ drive.

Email: [email protected]
Audio Card: Digi 002 Rack
Audio Interface: Digi 002 Rack
Miscellaneous:
Digidesign Software: Pro Tools LE
Version: 7.3
Computer Model and Speed: AMD 3000+
RAM: 2.5GB
Operating System: XP Sp2
SiSoftware Sandra

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(TM) XP 3000+
Speed : 2.15GHz
Model Number : 3000 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR3188 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Internal Data Cache : 64kB Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64 byte line size

Mainboard
Bus(es) : AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
MP Support : No
MP APIC : Yes
System BIOS : Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1013
System : System Manufacturer System Name
Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V8X-X
Total Memory : 2.5GB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc VT8377 Apollo KT400/A/600 CPU to PCI Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : SyncMaster 205BW/204BW, SyncMaster Magic CX203BW/CX205BW(Analog)
Adapter : RADEON 7200 SERIES

Physical Storage Devices
Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
Hard Disk : WDC WD800BB-22JHA0 (75GB)
Hard Disk : StorCase OXFORD IDE Device 1 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device
CD-ROM/DVD : IDE DVD-ROM 16X (CD 16X Rd) (DVD 2X Rd)
CD-ROM/DVD : TDK CDRW161040X (CD 40X Rd, 16X Wr)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 75GB (46GB, 62% Free Space) (NTFS)
Audio CD (F:) : 0 byte(s) (CDFS)
CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A
3.5" 1.44MB (A:) : 1.4MB (312kB, 22% Free Space) (FAT)
StudioFW (I:) : 153GB (131GB, 85% Free Space) (NTFS)

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse : Logitech USB Wheel Mouse
Human Interface : Logitech USB Wheel Mouse

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : Standard Game Port
Device : SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Printers and Faxes
Model : HP PSC 1400 series
Model : Adobe PDF

Power Management
AC Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

Network Services
Adapter : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Adapter : D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.B)

spkguitar 10-24-2007 08:18 AM

You said that you get the same results when you connect directly via USB as you do with an interface, so we can probably rule that out.

That leaves only your system.

Are you experiencing timing errors in any other audio programs? Especially MIDI timing, as that is what your issue is. Confirming no problems in other programs would focus the attention on an issue with Pro Tools and compatibility with your system. If you experience the same issue in other programs, then it's definitely a computer problem.

The parts you are using seem to be compatible. Not one of the recommended motherboards, and one that I haven't seen used often (if at all) with success, so keep that in mind.
Quote:

How exactly are you achieving that? Two 1GB and one 512? Are they matched? (they really can't be completely matched at that size).

Jenk2k 10-24-2007 09:16 AM

That's actually a good point about the memory. I think I just stuck teh other 512 in thinking that if it caused memory problems in the operating env i would take it out. I think this board only supports high speed RAM on 2 of the 3 slots. The first two are matched, but obviously not the 3rd. Hmm.........

I have never had midi problems in any other program that I can think of. I am going to remove the 512 memory module and see what happens.