Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   We need a Thunderbolt HDX system (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=323463)

Electrox 06-02-2012 04:23 AM

We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

Avid - I have been using Pro Tools since it was Sound Tools. I have bought every system Digidesign has ever produced. I currently own 3 versions of these systems (system 5.1, system 8.1 and system 10), and that's just at my home! I totally understand your desire to sell CARDS that get placed into desktop systems, as from a cost/profit point of view this is the best place to START. What I am hoping is that you actually ARE working on a one box solution to address the Thunderbolt/laptop community. The idea that I will be shelling out real money for an outdated Mac tower in this day of 48 track recording using iPads is just plain crazy. If it doesn't work with the new MacBook Pro laptops, it will never see the light of day in my studio. I don't care what it cost, I only care that it reflects the way I work. I am no longer going to be tied to big boxes and external monitors/mice/synths to be able to deal with audio. Give me something that I want to buy(!) and I will buy it! 3000 tracks and a hint of better sound quality doesn't cut it for me anymore. I will use the older systems until I find you are getting with the program. So far, it looks like stumbling to me.

nst7 06-02-2012 06:09 AM

Re: We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

Are you aware of the various solutions coming out such as the PCIe to Thunderbolt chassis? These would be the most portable solution for the near future, and allow you to do pretty much what you're talking about.

It may be a while before they convert the cards to a thunderbolt box. Remember, it's not just for connections, there's processing on the cards as well.

The PCIe to Thunderbolt adapters are all scheduled to come out this month. They include a 3 slot version by Magma ($979), then a 2 slot and 1 slot version from Sonnet ($799 and $599), and a 1 slot version from M-Logic ($399).

TOM@METRO 06-02-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 1936610)

The PCIe to Thunderbolt adapters are all scheduled to come out this month. They include a 3 slot version by Magma ($979), then a 2 slot and 1 slot version from Sonnet ($799 and $599), and a 1 slot version from M-Logic ($399).

And these will be the solution for the foreseeable future.

Shan 06-02-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrox (Post 1936600)
Avid - I have been using Pro Tools since it was Sound Tools.

You also joined this forum in Dec 1969(pre internet)! Talkin' about being on the bleeding edge. :eek: :D :D

I'd like to see a Thunderbolt solution from Avid that is basically the HD I/O combined with HDX all in one box. It would take the UAD Apollo concept to a different level, as there would be access to way more DSP plug-ins among many other things. To me, this is an obvious move at some point.

Shane

Buccanears 06-03-2012 12:59 AM

Pretty sure they're aware.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw_jBQB6FD0

Sonopolis 06-03-2012 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 1936610)

Unfortunately the 1 slot version from Sonnet and the M-Logic box are only for half length PCIe cards, HDX cards are still full length.

Drew Mazurek 06-03-2012 07:11 AM

Avid wasting money and time engineering a Thunderbolt box that would amount to a PCI card in a chassis is just plain dumb* and we'd all pay for it. Next. :)

*unless it included I/O but then you'd lose the ability to configure a system to your liking and you'd basically have an Omni with DSP and a Thunderbolt port. Which I wouldn't be interested in.

upscaps 06-03-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonopolis (Post 1936798)
Unfortunately the 1 slot version from Sonnet and the M-Logic box are only for half length PCIe cards, HDX cards are still full length.

buy the magma. magma & PT have worked well together for years. I've never even heard of m-logic or used a sonnet.

Electrox 06-07-2012 03:12 PM

PCIe cards are no longer a valid way to go. That is why Apple has developed Thunderbolt and handed the tech over to Intel. They don't want to keep making big boxes... They don't really want the user to have to open the box AND GET THINGS WRONG! And I don't want to keep carrying big boxes. What is the best computer in the world? The one you have access to.
If Avid had an interface with a card's worth of DSP inside of it, a few mic/lines ins and outs, 1 Thunderbolt cable, well... Doesn't need to be any bigger than a MOTU box, but would be a MOTU box on steroids. I can't believe I am the only one who would think that was a marketable idea... And if you want to have a 3 screen system, then that's also possible with the laptop. Portable, rugged, desktop power in a briefcase.

Drew Mazurek 06-08-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrox (Post 1938182)
PCIe cards are no longer a valid way to go. That is why Apple has developed Thunderbolt and handed the tech over to Intel. They don't want to keep making big boxes... They don't really want the user to have to open the box AND GET THINGS WRONG! And I don't want to keep carrying big boxes. What is the best computer in the world? The one you have access to.
If Avid had an interface with a card's worth of DSP inside of it, a few mic/lines ins and outs, 1 Thunderbolt cable, well... Doesn't need to be any bigger than a MOTU box, but would be a MOTU box on steroids. I can't believe I am the only one who would think that was a marketable idea... And if you want to have a 3 screen system, then that's also possible with the laptop. Portable, rugged, desktop power in a briefcase.

No one is questioning it as a marketable idea. What you are describing is the UA Apollo box that just came out to much fanfare. Two things I don't like about an Avid TB box are: 1. Avid is now spending time and money working on technology that other companies have already created, that's a waste and I'll pay them for it. 2. it makes the system LESS configurable.

You've already got what you're describing when you take an HDX card, put it in a single slot TB chassis and place it on top of an HD I?O 16x16. Put that in a 4 space rack and you're done, no extra R&D, manufacturing, etc, and you can pull it apart and use it in different ways the next week. What's not to like?