Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Triple-checking! :: Mac Mini ok w/ Mbox2Pro (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=270697)

Voxer22 03-31-2010 05:48 PM

Triple-checking! :: Mac Mini ok w/ Mbox2Pro

Has anyone had problems with that combo? I have an MBox 2 Pro and a s/pdif processor. Just sold a brand-new screaming 27" iMac cuz it won't work with that config. Wanna make sure I'm buying a box that'll work this time.

Thanks for any input.

audiogeekzine 03-31-2010 07:01 PM

Re: Triple-checking! :: Mac Mini ok w/ Mbox2Pro

huh? 27" iMac should be awesome with Mbox 2 Pro. Sure you didn't just have the wrong cable? Or wrong version of PT for snow leopard?
If you had problems with the iMac then the mini will have the same problems, they have the same i/o options.

Either way you'll need a second hard drive connected with Firewire.

DigiTechSupt 04-01-2010 08:48 AM

audiogeekzine is right - this should work great with a 27" iMac.

What kinds of problems were you having, exactly?

chrissyb 04-01-2010 09:03 AM

....What?

Now I'm very confused - I was told the issues with the new Imacs were software (PT issues) for which an update is in the pipeline for a future release.

If it's a software issue with PT surely it would affect anything your plugging in to the Mbox...?????

This message directly contradicts this - what's going on? By the same token my I5 should play nicely with the Mbox - and it doesn't.

PLEASE CLARIFY....!

Chris

audiogeekzine 04-01-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissyb (Post 1583576)
....What?

Now I'm very confused - I was told the issues with the new Imacs were software (PT issues) for which an update is in the pipeline for a future release.

If it's a software issue with PT surely it would affect anything your plugging in to the Mbox...?????

This message directly contradicts this - what's going on? By the same token my I5 should play nicely with the Mbox - and it doesn't.

PLEASE CLARIFY....!

Chris

As DTS asked, what are the problems you're having?
PLEASE CLARIFY....!

Obsidian Dragon 04-01-2010 10:27 AM

For what it is worth, I'm running an older Mac Mini (Intel CoreDuo) with either a USB Mbox2Mini or Firewire Digi002R using OSX10.6.2 (now upgraded to 10.6.3) and Protools LE 8.0.3cs1 (now upgraded to 8.0.3cs2) and all is running well. I of course use a compatible external 7200 Firewire drive. I can't speak for the newer Mac Minis with the Firewire 800 port however and I can't speak for the Mbox2Pro. Most of the people having major issues like Chrissyb seem to be on the new i5 or i7 iMacs

chrissyb 04-01-2010 10:33 AM

Yes I think audiogeekzine is getting me confused with the thread starter!

I added my input because I have been informed by DTS that the i5/i7 issue is software based - a solution is in the pipeline...

So if it is a software problem - it could potentially affect all hardware units on the imacs. (Unless it was specifically USB the software problem, but this contradicts what I've been told)

So the statement that the Mbox2 (albeit pro) should be rock solid on the i7 does not make sense - (to me anyway).

It would be great to see this cleared up, via some kind of bulletin...

Chris

Numi 04-01-2010 10:48 AM

I have a newer Mac Mini with the stock hard drive, 4G of RAM, OWC Mercury Firewire 800 drive. Everything works Great! Lastest OS and Updates. You won't be able to run a ton of VI's..but it should be rock solid.

Also, you should go MacMini>Hard Drive>Mbox2 Pro when you connect the Firewire Cable, using a 800 to 400 cable.

I would recommend this config for anyone wanting something easy and quiet.

Voxer22 04-01-2010 12:24 PM

The kicker here was the s/pdif. It may have worked fine without it, but I wasn't interested in working without it ; )

Trust me, people, I tried EVERY possible combination of hardware/software/settings/routing/stand-on-my-frickin-head-while juggling-hamsters to try to get even a smidgen of audio onto a track. No worky!

If you snoop around here or gearslutz for iMac i5/MBox2Pro/spdif combinations you will find that no one has been able to make it work.

I'm no longer interested in solutions for this.