Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Artist Series (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   MC transport jogwheel precision in logic (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=308022)

robertg 09-23-2011 01:07 AM

MC transport jogwheel precision in logic

I've recently started with a new hard drive and a fresh install of OS X Lion + Logic 9.1.5.

Before when I was under Snow Leopard, the jog wheel on my MC transport would sometimes move at 1-bar increments until I dragged it with the mouse, then it would be much more precise. Now, I can't seem to get it to go below 1-bar snaps and this makes it fairly useless for zoomed-in fine tuned edits. I was hoping someone could look into this issue.

thanks

chris-euphonix 09-23-2011 06:57 AM

Re: MC transport jogwheel precision in logic

Hi,

Try Logic / Preferences / Control Surfaces and tick "Jog resolution depends on horizontal zoom". On the Mac, might also need to mouse click somewhere in the arrange window, or maybe the horizontal scrollbar, to get this going the very first time.

I haven't tried OSX 10.7. However this is what I did to get smooth jogwheel under 10.6. Perhaps you did it before, and need to again for fresh install.

Does that help ?

Xill 09-23-2011 10:33 AM

Go to your logic preferences and add a shortcut for moving one frame forward or backward.

Then create a new wheel command (I called mine "move by frame") and assign it to a softkey on the transport.

It cannot be any smoother. And with 2 soft keys you have a choice, bar by bar, or frame by frame.

robertg 09-23-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris-euphonix (Post 1837826)
Hi,

Try Logic / Preferences / Control Surfaces and tick "Jog resolution depends on horizontal zoom". On the Mac, might also need to mouse click somewhere in the arrange window, or maybe the horizontal scrollbar, to get this going the very first time.

I haven't tried OSX 10.7. However this is what I did to get smooth jogwheel under 10.6. Perhaps you did it before, and need to again for fresh install.

Does that help ?

That was it, thanks. I'll also try the move by frames suggestion since the default behavior isn't very consistent.

Xill 09-23-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertg (Post 1837912)
That was it, thanks. I'll also try the move by frames suggestion since the default behavior isn't very consistent.

Well it's always useful to have the smallest unit on a softkey. And it's not like the Transport or the Control are lacking programmable keys.

robertg 09-23-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris-euphonix (Post 1837979)
If you guys are using MC Transport with Logic, do the lights behave in the same strange way mine do:

- When I press the leftmost button to activate the jog wheel, said button lights up, and the jog wheel is active.

- But when I press the button again, the jog wheel is de-activated, but the light inexplicably stays on.

Curious if this happens for anyone else (in Logic).

Thanks!

yep

chris-euphonix 09-23-2011 04:02 PM

Right - thanks.

For what it's worth, the MC Transport doesn't do this with Cubase. And the shuttle ring works sensibly!

Strange...

stariain 11-07-2011 01:06 PM

hi, I'm new to all this and i have an MC control. Is this possible on the MC control too, and if so would somebody be kind enough to give me a walkthrough? many thanks:-)

Xill 11-07-2011 01:38 PM

It's the same thing.

In my earlier post I explain how to setup a precise frame by frame movement on the wheel.

stariain 11-22-2011 10:06 AM

thanks xill, I've been away a while and not had a chance to catch up.

Im really unclear as to how to do this. I don't have an MC transport, just an MC control.

The only options i appear to have on setting up a soft key with the jog wheel are preset ones, even the 'custom' option only gives me 2 possibilities.

what i really want is simply to use the jogwheel as it is without pressing any keys at all. it seems to do nothing at all in its default state.

I'm feeling a bit stuck with this:(