Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Recommendations for best interface under $1000 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=364420)

mikefont 02-15-2015 11:22 AM

Recommendations for best interface under $1000

Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade my little home studio and I could use some advice.

My current audio interface is my Eleven Rack, running Pro Tools 10.3.9 on a Windows 7 Professional PC. Up until now, I have solely used plugins or FX from the Eleven Rack for my recording sessions. What I am wanting is a hybrid DAW setup where I can also incorporate other outboard gear to use (compressors, mic pre's, pitch shifters, etc). And with the limited connectivity of the Eleven Rack, I need another audio interface.

Since I am using a PC, thunderbolt connectivity is out. So I am looking at a firewire or usb setup. I set a budget of about $1000 for this and I am considering the following units:

TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid
Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Or maybe even the Mackie Onyx 1620i

I am mainly looking to have an interface that will allow me to connect other gear to my DAW, so it doesn't necessarily HAVE to have a bunch of mic pre's built in...and I'm not too concerned about onboard DSP (although these would be a nice bonus). Mainly looking for flexibility and something that will still allow me to use the Eleven Rack also.

Initially here, I think I'm leaning towards the MOTU

I have done some research, and I have heard positive AND negative things on all of those units, so that is why I am looking for some suggestions from anyone with experience with these units, or any other units that may fall in this range?
And yeah, I would love to go with a UAD Apollo, RME, or Apogee unit, but again I am trying to stay in the $1000 ballpark.

Thanks for your time, and I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered here elsewhere before.:D

albee1952 02-15-2015 01:49 PM

Re: Recommendations for best interface under $1000

Don't leave out RME. Not sure what they have in your price range, but their drivers are probably the best of all, followed by Focusrite.:o

YYR123 02-15-2015 02:06 PM

MOTU

mikefont 02-15-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2232924)
MOTU

Hey Daniel, I see that in your signature you list having a Focusrite LS56, but your recommending the MOTU. Is there something about the LS56 that has you not recommending it?

Thanks

YYR123 02-15-2015 02:24 PM

On board DSP for tracking.

LS56 is good I use it, but I think they are about to release a new interface and the Saffire will fall by the way side

mikefont 02-15-2015 02:28 PM

Yes, I was checking out the news from NAMM about the Focusrite Clarett 8preX and thought that it would be cool...but it's thunderbolt only, so I guess I'm outta luck on it.

YYR123 02-15-2015 03:23 PM

Recommendations for best interface under $1000

I think Universal Audio really has been getting their stuff together

The new version of console has some great features, so the Apollo lineup is really nice

And MOTU has really nice stuff, focusrite has the newer interface with low latency but as you mentioned I think it's only TB

mmk 02-16-2015 02:30 AM

used rme fireface. probobly the best quality u can get at the price

albee1952 02-18-2015 08:00 PM

I know some will scoff, but a used 003 is not a bad choice. Its under your limit and doesn't require any intermediate monitoring software. Just food for thought:o

mesaone 02-18-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2232922)
Don't leave out RME. Not sure what they have in your price range, but their drivers are probably the best of all, followed by Focusrite.:o

Yes, don't leave out RME. Babyface can be gotten new for $700, and you might be able to find a used UC for under a grand.