Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Yosemite support and new Licensing (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=360317)

Tim R. 11-04-2014 10:12 AM

Yosemite support and new Licensing

I purchased a PT HD Native system 18 mos ago. I'm on the verge of a new Mac purchase that would of course be running Yosemite. Will I be forced into Avid's new licensing agreement (for $599!?) just to get my new computer to work?

JFreak 11-04-2014 11:05 AM

Re: Yosemite support and new Licensing

Your current system should work just fine, as it is now...

Tim R. 11-04-2014 12:03 PM

Yeah, I realize "Should Work", just wondered how to get to "Officially supported" if there is a version update.

JFreak 11-04-2014 12:06 PM

PT will be officially supported on Yosemite. I myself would expect a 11.2.2 or a 11.3.0 release but I wouldn't know what Avid thinks. FWIW the next PT version very most likely is qualified

Tim R. 11-04-2014 12:17 PM

I don't doubt that the next version of PTs will support Yosemite. My question is whether I will have to purchase Avid's lovely new support program to GET it (at $599).

dr_daw 11-04-2014 06:41 PM

I think the last question is the easiest of them all to answer! You won't get the next version of PT's without the 'new' support program. If it ain't broke don't fix it, we're all struggling with the thought of surrendering our current working system licences to the new format!

I'm thinking it may be cheaper in the long run to just buy a second license in the event that this whole process poops in my mouth while I sleep. At least then I can fall back on my Mountain LIon Pt 10.3.8 setup that WORKS!!!!

SO far my Yosemite setup has had issues not with PT's - because I haven't even got that far - I can't even get it to run my Saffire as of yet. I'm on hold because I'm in the middle of a project upload, but hopefully in the next 72 hours I'll get a final full test system going.

Mark Waters 11-05-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_daw (Post 2200032)
I think the last question is the easiest of them all to answer! You won't get the next version of PT's without the 'new' support program. If it ain't broke don't fix it, we're all struggling with the thought of surrendering our current working system licences to the new format!

Im not struggling with surrendering licenses.. Im struggling with what am I going to use when I dump Pro Tools, because as much as I like PT it seems inevitable. A lot of the studios I work with are using Digital Performer or starting to, I may go that route.

In general I just don't do subscriptions. I don't do Adobe Cloud, I don't do Office 365, and I won't do Pro Tools if that what it comes down to. The subscription model is a cash cow for the corporations and not a cost savings for most of us.

The exception is Virus checking and Firewall signatures... that I get daily .. daily updates, yes that is worth a subscription. We can't even get Pro Tools updates when new OS updates are released... sheesh Waves had updates for Yosemite in ONE DAY .. hmm that might be an exception I'd consider. But with the slow to nonexistent movement here, at least for the middle of the road guys (not a beginner and not a big studio) .. nope, won't happen.

Obsidian Dragon 11-05-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Waters (Post 2200373)
In general I just don't do subscriptions. I don't do Adobe Cloud, I don't do Office 365, and I won't do Pro Tools if that what it comes down to. The subscription model is a cash cow for the corporations and not a cost savings for most of us.

Same here. I've purchased Apple Logic Pro X and have decided to make the switch to that rather than do the subscription license.

Mitchel 11-05-2014 11:13 PM

Yes I am switching to Logic and Apogee which infact I always used to run. I only went down the PT route as I needed more power using an HD2 set up.
Not anymore as I can use TBolt with Symphony and my Mac is way powerful enough. Screw Avid.

YYR123 11-06-2014 12:13 AM

DP or S1 - motu was qualified on release day iirc