Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Transfering files PT projects via the internet (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=216712)

sirpucho 02-26-2008 04:55 AM

Transfering files PT projects via the internet

Someone has suggested using yousendit.com but has said it may use compression I can't afford digidelivery although it is just what I want :-( any other alternatives or is yousendit actually OK

RE digidelivery have they considered a cheaper version on similar lines to services like yousendit with guaranteed no compression etc where we don't require the purchase of a server but can pay a small fixed fee to use their service?

Any pointers helpful am doing more and more work from abroad

Cheers

Drew Mazurek 02-26-2008 06:37 AM

Re: Transfering files PT projects via the internet

Just .zip the session with all its parts into one file. I do this all the time with my .mac account and it works perfectly. Usendit may have a file size limit, in which case you'll have to split it up. You might also consider FedEx.

bbob 02-26-2008 07:19 AM

I always used .mac just for 2 mixes and mp3's in the past... but since they bumped it up to 10 gig it makes it a more viable option for transferring whole sessions. The upload can be pretty slow (I'm on cable) but if you're on the recieving end it's a breeze.
If somebody is sending me a whole project to mix... I still have them use Fed X or UPS. Seems like less headache... less time in front of the computer.... just my opinion.
You might want to google "FTP apps or FTP services" for other options. Cyberduck comes to mind. Pretty cool app.
BT

Drew Mazurek 02-26-2008 07:34 AM

FYI, if you use an FTP client (I use Transmit) to access your iDisk, it works WAY better and faster than the Finder for uploads and downloads.

thin ice 02-26-2008 08:44 AM

I use Fetch, but upload is always a slow process at about 50kbs. I though Digidelivery would be faster to someone with an account, but it was still as slow as my own space. Maybe some knowledge on routers and networking is more important.

Drew Mazurek 02-26-2008 09:07 AM

it's an ISP issue usually. I have a cable modem and it's limited to 200kbps upload.

drenkrom 02-26-2008 09:22 AM

www.webcargo.net works like a charm for us.

Irl Sanders 02-26-2008 09:55 AM

DigiDelivery gives you no special speed bump - your internet connection determines the upload and download speeds. What DD does do is eliminate the upload time, as you just dump the files to it via your LAN.

If you can get a Static IP address, you can set up a shared folder/drive on your Mac fairly easily, that will give you similar results to using DD.

subwoof 02-26-2008 12:14 PM

I am selling a spare Digidelivery LT if anyone is interested (never used)

Mike

narcoman 02-26-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Someone has suggested using yousendit.com but has said it may use compression I can't afford digidelivery although it is just what I want :-( any other alternatives or is yousendit actually OK

RE digidelivery have they considered a cheaper version on similar lines to services like yousendit with guaranteed no compression etc where we don't require the purchase of a server but can pay a small fixed fee to use their service?

Any pointers helpful am doing more and more work from abroad

Cheers

The compression it uses (well actually zip or rar) is not destructive - its completely lossless, so dont worry about it.

We have a big FTP site, just as good as having digidelivery and costs a LOT less...