Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   The Drum Room (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Sennheiser 421 Tom Mic Question (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408531)

johnbarnesiii 02-16-2020 12:25 AM

Sennheiser 421 Tom Mic Question
 
Hi guys, Iím in the process of buying some mics for recording my drum kit. Iím interested in the Sennheiser 421, as Iíve heard theyíve been a staple for tom mics for a long time.

Iím noticing many different versions for this mic when I look on Reverb or eBay for example. Which one to go for? For example, I see 421-N as more expensive, then I see 421-II as a little cheaper. And a few other models/iterations of the 421. Whatís the difference here and which to recommend?

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFreak 02-16-2020 08:24 AM

Re: Sennheiser 421 Tom Mic Question
 
As an engineer, 421-II is the modern one you want to be using today. The old ones have the original sound and all but are tricky as hell because they are so old.

But if that is what you are after, the 421-N (mk1) sound is rounder and easier to mix, but it also has non-xlr connector. I think the "same thing" with xlr connector is 421-U

Just don't get the HN model, anything else is fine.

albee1952 02-16-2020 01:41 PM

Re: Sennheiser 421 Tom Mic Question
 
As big a fan as I am of the 421, there are some very good alternatives these days. The Audix D6 and Miktek PM11 are both great on toms, cost less and are easier to position:D I'm also a big fan of tracking toms with top and bottom mics(which gets really expensive with 421's):o

JFreak 02-16-2020 01:42 PM

Re: Sennheiser 421 Tom Mic Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2554412)
Audix D6

Isn't that a bit heavy? I like D2's on rack toms, D4's on floor toms

JFreak 02-16-2020 03:17 PM

Re: Sennheiser 421 Tom Mic Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2554412)
I'm also a big fan of tracking toms with top and bottom mics(which gets really expensive with 421's)

I like to experiment from time to time as well. What I have found having a SM57 on a tom bottom makes bigger difference (compared to having none) than using a really super expensive mic down there. Besides the mic you choose I get more tonal difference by setting the distance just right. YMMV of course.

johnbarnesiii 02-16-2020 04:17 PM

Re: Sennheiser 421 Tom Mic Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2554384)
As an engineer, 421-II is the modern one you want to be using today. The old ones have the original sound and all but are tricky as hell because they are so old.



But if that is what you are after, the 421-N (mk1) sound is rounder and easier to mix, but it also has non-xlr connector. I think the "same thing" with xlr connector is 421-U



Just don't get the HN model, anything else is fine.



Thank you Jfreak!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albee1952 02-22-2020 10:53 AM

Re: Sennheiser 421 Tom Mic Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2554414)
Isn't that a bit heavy? I like D2's on rack toms, D4's on floor toms

Not at all(to me). I like the D6 better than the others you mention. It all comes down to how you balance the top/bottom in a mix. If I need less "fatness", the Miktek PM10 is a solid alternative, or I will ease up on the EQ(I know I sound like a Miktek fanboy, but their stuff has worked really well for me and I can actually talk to somebody there if I have an issue or question):D

JamesTheBest 03-02-2020 02:15 AM

Re: Sennheiser 421 Tom Mic Question
 
Sennheiser 421 - is a very good mic
I've been using for almost 2 months already


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com