Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   midi playback problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=162407)

MunchieLad 03-06-2006 10:07 AM

midi playback problem

hi there,
couldn't find a similar problem in a search.
I'm getting glitches when i playback a simple midi file.
It's a rather long and fast piece with many ostinatos and repetitions. it has no more than 4 notes at any one time. it's about 6 and a half minutes long and is only two tracks. it's playing into garritan personal orchestra(kontakt player virtual instrument). i get a slight hesitation or jumble of notes randomly throughout the piece, but only when i try to bounce to disk, not when i just play the file. does anyone have any idea what is causing this. i can't figure it out.
thanks

grindx 03-06-2006 10:14 AM

Re: midi playback problem

Can you bounce a virtual instrument's output with other recorded audio at the same time? I thought you would have to record the audio onto an open track and then bounce the entire piece.

MunchieLad 03-06-2006 10:19 AM

we should be able to bounce a virtual instrument, I've done it many times, but you did give me an idea. I'll try to record it into a new track.
thanks

Slim Shady 03-06-2006 10:57 AM

Sounds like a problem with GPO, not with ProTools.

Where is you GPO library stored? If it's on the same drive as you're trying to bounce to, it might too much disk use for it to keep streaming the samples and write the bounced file at the same time. You should also get as much RAM as you can afford when running sample-based soft-synths like the GPO.

If you continue to have problems, you should contact Garriton. I bounce Soft-synths all the time without recording them to a track first with no problems, but I don't use GPO, so it would seem the problem lies with that particular plug-in.

myhrik 04-21-2006 02:30 AM

Hello!

Finally, someone with the exact same problem as me. I'm using Kontakt 2 RTAS with PTLE 7.1 (the same thing happened in 7.0 too) on Mac OS X 10.4.6. The problem only occurs when bouncing, and it makes me want to pull my hair out. The strange thing is, I'm using a 808 digital drum kit supplied with the Kontakt 2 library, and those are VERY small samples!! In my 5 minute project about 10-20 notes gets randomly off beat, impossible to listen to. I even tried creating a totally blank project and only importing the instrument track with Kontakt 2, the sample and the MIDI track, but the exact same thing happened - albeit maybe to a lesser extent, but still not nearly listenable.

I have also experienced problems with using the Vienna Symphonic samples also supplied with Kontakt 2, but then problems also occationally arose during playing, not only bouncing. Sometimes the entire region was more and more delayed, some notes were like 10 seconds late and the rhythm was completely stuttering and ruined.

I cannot recall having similiar problems prior to PT7..? I have used Kontakt 2 within PT quite a lot. Someone please help...?