Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   VST instruments into PT12 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=376109)

Dagg 12-30-2015 10:18 AM

VST instruments into PT12

Hello

I wonder if there is any solution to play VST instruments in PT12 environment. I mean, AAX synths are pretty rare and I don't want to be limited to the few of those that ported to AAX.

Is there any workaround or semi-elegant solution to use VST in PT12? How do pros work in regard to this problem, do they need to go program arr and prodction in Logic or Cubase and then export wav? I just finished using Logic after many years, do I need to go back only to use plugin synths?

thanks

DeadAgain 12-30-2015 10:38 AM

Re: VST instruments into PT12

Hi,

I suggest

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/

Works finde here ... straight, simple and stable. Only limitation: only VST2 plugins (effects and instruments) .. no VST3. But ... that's ok for me. Most instruments use VST2 .. and Steinberg instruments I own (Halion 5, Groove Agent and so on) I can plug into Pro Tools using the AU plugin version on my Mac :D

Greetings

Alex

astroturf 12-30-2015 01:30 PM

bluecat patchwork is a wonderful program for just that

DonaldM 12-30-2015 02:22 PM

Another way is to use Reaper on an instrument track in Pro Tools and use Rewire. This will explain how that works. I use both Blue Cat patchwork and Reaper. The advantage of Reaper is that it will host 32bit and make a bridge for the 64bit set up whereas Bluecat Patchwork will only host 64bit VSTs.

The advantage of Patchwork is that you can host more than just VI's and use them directly on PT tracks. While you can host any VST in Reaper, there's no way to use Rewire to use an effect on an PT track. So, while you can route the audio output of ANY Reaper track to a PT AUX track for further processing in PT, if all you want is to use a VST effect of some kind..a certain Reverb say...then you have to export the audio from PT into Reaper, add the effect there, and route the audio back to PT via Rewire. A bit cumbersome.

But, for straightout hosting VST VI's for creating tracks, Reaper is also a great way to host and use them in PT via Rewire.

Sardi 12-30-2015 08:59 PM

Whilst the above suggestions are great, have you actually looked into AAX VIs? There are LOADS.

Most manufacturers offer AAX versions of their VIs.

demodigi 12-30-2015 11:50 PM

Hi,

Other suggestions :
- VSL Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (uses AU on Mac, VST on PC)
- P&M Chainer
- Plogue Bidule
- Or any Rewire app that hosting VST or AU (as DonaldM mentionned above : Reaper but also Live, etc...)

There is certainly other VST Wrappers around (=> make a search :rolleyes:)

Jay_uk 12-31-2015 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demodigi (Post 2324220)
Hi,

Other suggestions :
- VSL Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (uses AU on Mac, VST on PC)

Is it AU only and no VST on Mac?

demodigi 12-31-2015 03:27 AM

Quote:

Is it AU only and no VST on Mac?
Yes, AU only. VSL planned to add VST support on Mac, but I don't know if it will ever happen.

In another hand :
- nearly all plug-ins exist in both AU and VST.
- Most plug-ins are also AAX except old ones.
- Most Plug-in editors are actually wrapping their AU and AAX version from VST version (so VST support is not that important in VEP).

I only have 1 plug-in that is VST only on Mac (the old Amplitude 1 LE provided with PTLE 6). All other plug-ins that I'm using are AU + VST. So If I need an old RTAS VI that doesn't exist anymore as AAX I'm using VEP without issues. Otherwise I'm using Magma from Nomad Factory (but only works with FX).

VST are Ok but, the drawback is they're using different key modifier than AAX and AU (i.e. : ALT+click to reset a parameter) and Plug-In Editors don't make any effort to support all the AAX functions (CMD + click to make a fine adjustment, automated parameter's colors, automated parameter shortcuts, surface control support, etc).

Jay_uk 12-31-2015 03:42 AM

^^ thanks for the comprehensive reply.
I suppose i got used to VST becoming a generic term, i have always read folks advising to get Vienna pro as an elegant way to use VST and Vi
cheers
J

astroturf 12-31-2015 08:10 AM

just keep in mind opening up something like reaper to rewire will take more cpu power. i wouldn't do it, id just use bluecat instead, alot more mess with rewire too