Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   CPU not enough, will HDX solve my problem? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=321496)

Rockman413 04-21-2012 08:45 AM

CPU not enough, will HDX solve my problem?

Hi guys, I have like 20-30 track arm for recording (connected with Vienna Ensemble Pro). The diaolog "CPU is not enough"(similar sentences) always shows up... I'm not running a lot of RTAS plug ins. I did a test that Arm the 20-30 tracks cost a lot of CPU.

In This case, if I switch to HDX, will HDX's DSPs help my CPU on the ARM of the 20-30 tracks? Or HDX ONLY help the plug ins? What does that FPGA processor do after all?

Rockman413 04-21-2012 04:25 PM

Re: CPU not enough, will HDX solve my problem?

Anyone?

Stig Eliassen 04-21-2012 04:49 PM

What's your buffer setting? VEP and PT on the same machine?

I print 15-20 VI's piped from the Mac Pro/VEP into my lowly PPC all the time. I use a buffer of 512.

WernerF 04-21-2012 07:58 PM

I use VE Pro on the same Mac Pro that I have P Tools on and never get any "out of CPU" errors. There's plenty of power available. Same results as Stig only it's all on the same machine.

Rockman413 04-22-2012 03:53 AM

That's weired!

I have around 20 tracks ARMed for recording but a total of 60 tracks with VE pro as their input. Is this why?

And guys, would the HDX's DSP help this?

sonixstudio 04-22-2012 05:34 PM

I will when the plugs you want actually come out in AAX until then it might make it worse than just HD because we HDX users are using almost all NATIVE plugs because there are not many DSP plugs out at this time. So you CPU will have to run most likely all your VI plugs. If you have HD and are using the DSP for your VIs then the answer is NO unless those plugs come in AAX DSP. From what I can tell the DSP part of HDX is working like AVID said it would with about a HDaccell 3 to 4 DSP processing. Once those plugs become available it should really help but not till then. This gives you the opportunity to get a brand new 12 core mac with lots of ram. That will help

Rockman413 04-24-2012 03:33 AM

Thanks very much guys!

I also want to know, if I arm/monitor 30 tracks, how's the CPU usage between Protools and Pro tools HDX? Will HDX help CPU on this part? or no diffference?

WernerF 04-24-2012 07:37 AM

HDX will have no effect on host performance other than by taking on the load of DSP plugins, of which there are very few at this point.

Rockman413 04-24-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WernerF (Post 1924853)
HDX will have no effect on host performance other than by taking on the load of DSP plugins, of which there are very few at this point.

But what about that FPGA processor thing?

Craig F 04-24-2012 07:34 PM

only for DSP AAX plugs