Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   The best amp modeling plugin? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=413598)

itsjustmeee123 01-11-2021 03:04 PM

The best amp modeling plugin?

For you guitarists out there, I'm curious of your opinions on which amp modeling plugin is the best/most useful. I've been through many over the years and have my own thoughts but I'd like to see what others think here.

JoelG 01-11-2021 03:31 PM

Re: The best amp modeling plugin?

I mainly use AmpliTube 5 and Eleven MKII personally. I've tried GTR3 and Guitar Rig, but I'm not a big fan of the GUI with them, they feel older than AmpliTube 3.

Joel

Benoni 01-11-2021 04:54 PM

I personally like anything from Plugin Alliance first and foremost.

Nembrini Audio is good.

Positive Grid BIAS is good.

Audio Assault has some good stuff that's pretty cheap.

itsjustmeee123 01-11-2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelG (Post 2590119)
I mainly use AmpliTube 5 and Eleven MKII personally. I've tried GTR3 and Guitar Rig, but I'm not a big fan of the GUI with them, they feel older than AmpliTube 3.

Joel

I’ve been pretty impressed with AmpliTube 5 so far. I’ve only had it a couple of days but I really like it’s versatility. I especially like how the amp and room mics work together. I do have a Line 6 Helix laying around but the software isn’t nearly as user friendly so I tend to just go for something else.

Stephen Bond 01-12-2021 03:02 AM

Amplitude 4 & 5 get a lot of use here. Also, the offerings from Plugin Alliance. Eleven MkII is still being used. I also use NI Guitar Rig 5 which is good, though the upgrade to 6 looks more than welcome! Also on occasion sims from Waves, the PRS ones are well worth trying.

Stephen

junkgear 01-12-2021 09:48 AM

I used AT4 for a while and am now using AT5 for pretty much all my guitar tracks. I have the Max version, which covers just about any sound I could want.

Helix Native is useful too, but overall I like the sounds I get from AT5 better.

BCnSTL 01-12-2021 10:22 AM

Eleven MKII has been my go-to for Marshall sounds for years.
AT5 may take over now. It's good.

Cowboy Bob 01-12-2021 10:27 AM

Plugin Alliance rockrack is quite useful and I've used it on a few tracks.

My favorite, and go to first is still Eleven MKII. Yeah it's a resource hog but still my favorite.

Presonus Ampire ain't half bad either, in my opinion. No DSP mode but it works well with the "wrapper" in Pro Tools

Positive Grid is also very useful, but I can't seem to bond with it.

Stephen Bond 01-12-2021 01:17 PM

I forgot to mention I have been using the newish Softube Amp Room which I like a lot too! I didn't like the old amp sims from the much but this is much better.

Stephen

Eric Lambert 01-12-2021 02:59 PM

There's an exciting group of small or one-person shops putting out the best sims these day. They're on another level in some cases, making it tough to decipher a sim from hardware amps/cabs. Neural DSP's Plini. Strymon's S-Gear. Anything from Kuassa but especially their latest-gen amps like Matchlock and Clarent. The inexpensive F-59 from Fuse Audio Labs. I'm a big fan of ML-5 from ML Sound Lab.

And for effects, it's a smorgasbord, but I'd definitely start with Kuassa's 360. It's drag-and-drop into a virtual pedal board and each effect is near the top of its game.

It's a good time to be a guitarist in the digital domain.