Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   HELP -- new computer and does't work with Protools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=135422)

drummerjock 04-26-2005 08:48 PM

HELP -- new computer and does\'t work with Protools

Ok -- I am not a computer person by any stretch of the imagination, so if I do not make myself clear, please ask any necessary questions and I will try to clarify.

My son is interested in recording.....so he purchased an MBox with ProTools 6.7 and we purchased a new computer for him to use it. We purchased a Dell 4700 -- Intel Pentium 4 processor (3.0 Ghz); 1G RAM; 80G hard drive. We thought this system would be adequate for just about anything he would want to do. WEll, we were wrong.....

He was able to record ... with a lot of difficulty....a 4 minute song (one vocal and one guitar only). He could not get it to bounce to disk. We tried turning off hyper threading --- making the necessary changes to Windows XP SP2 --- increasing H/W buffer and CPU in protools -- still a problem. We then do a chipset test and ....we have a 915G --- apparently incompatible with Protools. Now What????

It was suggested that we purchase a 2nd hard drive -- which we did -- still problems. We were told to go to MusicXP.net and follow the 25 tuning tips. We did that. Still, we encounter this problem: "the operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently, try increasing the h/w buffer size in the playback engine panel" WE DID THAT

So....we are incredibly frustrated. Is there any way that this particular computer can be used with ProTools....or must we start from scratch and purchase an entirely new computer system (please say no)......

Brian and Mom

Sacred Spirit 04-26-2005 09:02 PM

Re: HELP -- new computer and does\'t work with Protools

Dell has been known to provide motherboard upgrades in their systems if they do not do what you expected. If you can, upgrade the computer with Dell and see if you can a reasonable deal. The 915 chipset has been known to be a problem (when Digi doesn't mention a specific chipset as being compatable, you can almost bet your bottom dollar it's not compatable). I was burned on an AMD notebook, not knowing ALI chipsets were incompatable. Good Luck.

BIG D 04-26-2005 09:23 PM

Re: HELP -- new computer and does\'t work with Protools

Hi,

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but you need to check out the system compatability section of this forum. Look at Best desktop systems at the top of the index page.

The chipset is most important as well as the motherboard and other components.

Look at the list and see if the place you bought it from will help you get the system right.

All the best,

Big D

spkguitar 04-26-2005 09:53 PM

Re: HELP -- new computer and does\'t work with Prot

Some of the early 9xx chipsets have a problem supplying the proper amount of power across the USB to run the mBox. Though not supported by Digi, there have been reports that using a powered USB hub with these chipsets will solve this problem. Read This thread for more info. There is even a specific model hub mentioned in that thread, so...

~