Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   PT HD stuck at "initializing hardware DSI" [RESOLVED] (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=356283)

tidalwave 07-07-2014 09:12 PM

PT HD stuck at "initializing hardware DSI" [RESOLVED]

Hello!!

I have a problem that very few also seemed to have, but I didnt find a sloution anywhere...so maybe someone has an idea here :)

I recently bought a used HD4 with magma expansion chassis, and a used Mac Pro...

In the beginning all worked perfectly!!

After a couple of months, protools suddenly crashed in the middle of a session, and would get stuck on "initializing hardware DSI".

I checked everything, removed cards, etc...deleted some preferences, and somehow it worked again...

couple of weeks later, same problem!

only that I cant get it to work again as HD4 or HD3.

It works perfectly as HD1 or HD2, but not anymore with more than 2 cards...

It will just get stuck at DSI init.....totally weird?

Since I didn't change anything to the system ( it crashed right in the middle of a session, and the problem is there since then), I have no idea what I can do.

There are no informations I can find on this problem....

if someone has an idea, please let me know...thanks!!!

guitardom 07-07-2014 10:49 PM

Re: PT HD stuck at "initializing hardware DSI"

Hello,
Did you specifically delete your DSI prefs file?? There are multiple different prefs files.

the dude 07-07-2014 10:59 PM

sounds like a hardware problem to me,
If you reach out can maybe help to see what the exact problem is and to send it here for a quick repair

tidalwave 07-07-2014 11:07 PM

Hello!!

thanks for your input so far!!

I can´t find DSI prefs....where should the file be? or do you mean the DigiSetup prefs?

I deleted those, and all Protools related prefs...it didnt help...

@ thedude: hmmm...it doesnt matter which accel card is installed...I think the cards are OK...they pass digitest too...

it is a really weird thing...happened all of a sudden, and for couple of weeks, it worked fine again....but now I cant get it to work with more than 2 cards...but any of my 3 accel cards will do.... always bad, when there is no obvious reason for a problem...

thanks guys!!

tidalwave 07-11-2014 12:14 AM

anyone an idea what it might be?

I seriously doubt that suddenly two cards are broken, especially if they all work when only 2 cards in total are built in...

and digitest passes the test....

So I guess it is a kind of software problem....

thanks!!

tidalwave 07-29-2014 02:02 PM

heyho!!

anyone with an idea regarding this problem?

Raoul23 07-29-2014 02:10 PM

Have you tried a fresh install of Pro tools ??

JFreak 07-30-2014 02:58 AM

What does the DigiTest tell you?

ProTooler 07-30-2014 01:33 PM

I had a similar problem which was caused by an accel card that had a bad chip. I took my system apart several times, testing different configurations with different cards and found the culprit. I sent the bad to Avid and they fixed it for me for a very reasonable price (can't remember exactly how much, but I do remember that I was pleased with their fee.)
Hope this helps... B

tidalwave 09-21-2014 11:51 PM

finally solved!!!

Hi folks!!

thanks for your support...
I finally found the problem!!!

I didnt only have PT stuck at hardware DSI init, but also kernel panic, disk errors, the computer not booting up anymore, etc...

it was running with only the corecard, or maybe one extra accel card...

and the bad boy was:

The PSU of my magma chassis went bad...

I should have thought about it earlier...simply unable to handle the power consumption of more that one or two cards...

I replaced the PSU with a pretty powerful one (it says you should use one capable of at least 25-30 ampere on the 12v line), and I could start PT with my 4 cards installed...

I really hope, I can get back to work without having to worry about computer problems every minute...

I hope this can help some people with the same problem!!

cheers!!