Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   D Command--no signal to phones (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=373325)

oldmanpotter 10-21-2015 01:37 PM

D Command--no signal to phones

I've been using a D-Command for several years. Suddenly I can't get any signal out of the headphone jack. Ordinarily, in the monitor/cues section of the console, I select Phones, choose Main as the source, and hit the ON button and I'm able to hear outputs 1 and 5 (front Left and front Right when configured for the default D-Command surround format L x C x R Ls Rs LFE)

Another engineer has been using the system for a while. Is there a setting somewhere he could have changed? I can hear some low level clicks in the headphones when I change the volume, or change the source that feeds the phones, so it seems there is audio getting to the headphone jack. I also tested the switches using the TEST mode of the UTILITY section--they are all functioning well. I'm also seeing signal on the meters of outputs 1 and 5.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Hanswurstlsepp 10-22-2015 02:17 PM

Re: D Command--no signal to phones

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanpotter (Post 2304509)
I've been using a D-Command for several years. Suddenly I can't get any signal out of the headphone jack. Ordinarily, in the monitor/cues section of the console, I select Phones, choose Main as the source, and hit the ON button and I'm able to hear outputs 1 and 5 (front Left and front Right when configured for the default D-Command surround format L x C x R Ls Rs LFE)

Another engineer has been using the system for a while. Is there a setting somewhere he could have changed? I can hear some low level clicks in the headphones when I change the volume, or change the source that feeds the phones, so it seems there is audio getting to the headphone jack. I also tested the switches using the TEST mode of the UTILITY section--they are all functioning well. I'm also seeing signal on the meters of outputs 1 and 5.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Hi,

could be that the headphone amp in the xMon (or D-Command) is broken.
If the headphone amp would be in the xMon, then you could "simply" borrow a unit from a friend ... if the amp is in the D-Command, then of course one would have to know where it is and how to get a diagram for testing what exactly is broken.

This is my idea to your problem ;)

oldmanpotter 10-22-2015 03:56 PM

Thanks Steff. Since I do hear some very low level audio coming from the headphone output, I don't think the headphone amp is dead. It seem more like the internal switching that connects the various sources to the headphone jack is not functioning. By the way, the audio I hear is not the source material, but what sounds like digital noise floor, and some very slights clicks as I adjust the output encoder knob.

P

Hanswurstlsepp 10-23-2015 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanpotter (Post 2304824)
Thanks Steff. Since I do hear some very low level audio coming from the headphone output, I don't think the headphone amp is dead. It seem more like the internal switching that connects the various sources to the headphone jack is not functioning. By the way, the audio I hear is not the source material, but what sounds like digital noise floor, and some very slights clicks as I adjust the output encoder knob.

P

Yes - thats what I meant more or less ;)

The "internal switching" and amplifying etc. is all made *somewhere*.
If this process is done in xMon (as a part of the headphone circuit) then you could do a xMon replacement test.
If all this is done in the D-Dommand itself, you would have to borrow a D-Command ... or take your xMon to a friend who's running a D-Command and check it out there.

oldmanpotter 10-28-2015 01:03 PM

Thanks STeff!

TopStudioMiami 02-20-2018 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanpotter (Post 2305978)
Thanks STeff!

Could you solve the problem? I have the same fault.

Jeezer 02-20-2018 04:29 AM

Yeah to me that does sound like a dead op-amp chip that feeds the phones (either inside Xmon or the main unit). Same happened recently in the Moog Sub37 synth even from new, and Moog had to replace some boards. The chip in question is usually quite cheap and easily fitted (if not SMT). I have a feeling it would be mounted in the main unit rather than xmon, as the main unit deals with the heaphone section taking from the 'main' source from Xmon.

Though it may well be on some mainboard and could be a tiny SMT chip, it's still do-able but tricky if so.

Of course, it could still be some weird setting or a dead button not making contact, or a dead relay etc