Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Copyright Help (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=393532)

malnushi 09-05-2017 12:08 PM

Copyright Help

Okay I need some law help for this one. Let's say you are playing your music live on MTV or VHS. Can you then grab the audio from the live video and post it on iTunes to sell? You get 100% of the profit.

Ben Jenssen 09-05-2017 04:44 PM

Re: Copyright Help

First, you'll have to be able to prove that it's your music.
Can you do that?

Southsidemusic 09-05-2017 09:23 PM

And if you get music played on MTV or VH1 you would sign a HUUUUUUUGE contract which we done many times and in there you will have your answer. I would not get my hopes up as I believe the production company and broadcasting station will have the rights for the performance.

TOM@METRO 09-06-2017 06:10 AM

Yes, what Christopher said.

When you see terms in your contract such as "throughout the known universe" and "in perpetuity" (for example), it all becomes rather clear. :-)

Drew Mazurek 09-06-2017 09:15 AM

Would you want your lawyer writing his/her own theme song for a commercial? He/she doesn't want you doing your own lawyering. :-)

malnushi 09-17-2017 08:42 AM

Alright this wasn't even MTV or VH1. This was in a different country but I know there was no contract involved

Darryl Ramm 09-17-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malnushi (Post 2449847)
Alright this wasn't even MTV or VH1. This was in a different country but I know there was no contract involved

Oh a different country, with different laws than the USA, and not actually MTV or VH1 and no contract involved... or maybe there was either verbally or implied. Who knows.

Asking these hypothetical questions with little information, and lying about key facts in your question is a waste of everybody else's time.

If it is important seek legal advice in that country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_Toolbox 09-17-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Okay I need some law help for this one. Let's say you are playing your music live on MTV or VHS. Can you then grab the audio from the live video and post it on iTunes to sell? You get 100% of the profit.

Your post is very hard to understand. Please clarify if I am interpreting your post correctly:

1. YOU wrote a song and are implying YOU own the copyright to the underlying composition of YOUR SONG
2. YOU played YOUR SONG live, and SOMEONE ELSE filmed a music video of YOU performing YOUR SONG.
3. There was no written contract regarding the ownership, broadcast, or use of the video or it's embedded audio.
4. The video SOMEONE ELSE made of YOUR SONG was subsequently broadcast on a TV station in another country.
5. YOU want to separate the audio from the video SOMEONE ELSE made of YOUR SONG.
6. YOU want to sell the audio of YOUR SONG, which SOMEONE ELSE recorded, and keep 100% of the profits.

Is this correct?