Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Offline commit/bounce paranoia (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401918)

abt 11-12-2018 03:42 PM

Offline commit/bounce paranoia

Does anyone else suffer from this? Don't get me wrong, I use the offline bounce and offline track commit all the time, but whenever I print my finals I'm always doing it in real time.

I've done my own null testing and found that the only discrepancy between any bounced or committed file is that of randomness introduced by either a plugin or sample round robin. In those instances the result will always be different regardless of whether offline or real time was used.

Every other instance where this randomness wasn't produced I can find no difference between offline and real time.

This of course leads me to believe my paranoia is unjustified.

Has anyone had any results where offline bounce/commit doesn't produce good results?

JCBigler 11-12-2018 04:13 PM

Re: Offline commit/bounce paranoia

No. I use it all the time. It's a God send when doing live performances of symphonies and operas. Not having to sit and wait for 2 or 3 hours to bounce a performance is a HUGE time saver. I use it all the time and have had no problems. No complaints form the radio stations that have been broadcasting my mixes.

albee1952 11-12-2018 07:44 PM

Probably 90% of my bounces are done off-line. The only thing I recommend is; listen to the bounce before passing it on to the client(at least the intro, a few random spots and the end) so you don't embarrass yourself:o

AlexLakis 11-12-2018 08:44 PM

If the bounce is off, I've traced the problem to plugins 99.99% of the time.

albee1952 11-13-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexLakis (Post 2505582)
If the bounce is off, I've traced the problem to plugins 99.99% of the time.

That's interesting. For me, its always some weird routing issue(like having some track's output feeding a bus named "Main Out" instead of the actual output with the same name. When you listen, you hear everything, but the bounce is minus whatever was sent to that bus(never figured out how this happened, but had it hit me a couple of times):o

abt 11-13-2018 01:13 PM

Yeah, pretty much always a plugin that causes a problem for me too. That's another thing I'm paranoid about, what if the plugin is only used on a track part way in to the song?

seanmccoy 11-13-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2505627)
That's interesting. For me, its always some weird routing issue(like having some track's output feeding a bus named "Main Out" instead of the actual output with the same name. When you listen, you hear everything, but the bounce is minus whatever was sent to that bus(never figured out how this happened, but had it hit me a couple of times):o

Same here. All my bounces are offline, and the only problems I've ever had with them were because I had something routed wrong.