Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   M-Powered vs. LE (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=133738)

danika 04-06-2005 03:46 PM

M-Powered vs. LE

Are there any real differences between M-Powered and LE other than the Audio I/O supported? Any changes in the software interface? I realize this is a very general question, but I haven't been able to find a side-by-side comparison anywhere on the DD website. If anyone could point me to a comparison document, it would be much appreciated.

froyo 04-06-2005 04:29 PM

Re: M-Powered vs. LE

Hello. Go to the main site and you can find it there.

Main Site> Products> Pro Tools LE & M Powered > Software Comparison.

The software will mostly be the same. The M Powered will not include the bundle of plug ins (Reason Adapted, Live Digidesign Edition, etc) and will NOT work with DV Toolkit, DigiTranslator and a Control 24 surface.

JCBigler 04-06-2005 07:41 PM

And don't forget that a 96k sample rate is supported with the cheapest of the M-Powered supported hardware, which it is not for the MBox. That would make the M-Powered software better. Oh, but then you wouldn't have the option of using the Control 24 with your AP2496, like you do with the MBox. :|

Shan 04-06-2005 08:59 PM

Quote:

And don't forget that a 96k sample rate is supported with the cheapest of the M-Powered supported hardware, which it is not for the MBox. That would make the M-Powered software better. Oh, but then you wouldn't have the option of using the Control 24 with your AP2496, like you do with the MBox. :|

Plus, even with the cheapest m-audio card you get Midi, and 4 ins and outs, GSIF compatibilty. And since it is a PCI card you'll probably get a few extra Davec tracks like the 001 did.

If I was a new buyer, I would be scratchin' my head over that one. The 24/96 is an obvious choice over Mbox in regards to the above.

For some cheap PT editing stations in the studio, I think I will go with a few m-audio 24/96 based systems over the Mbox.

Shane

danika 04-06-2005 10:39 PM

Quote:

Hello. Go to the main site and you can find it there.

Main Site> Products> Pro Tools LE & M Powered > Software Comparison.

The software will mostly be the same. The M Powered will not include the bundle of plug ins (Reason Adapted, Live Digidesign Edition, etc) and will NOT work with DV Toolkit, DigiTranslator and a Control 24 surface.

Found it. Thanks. Sounds like the base software is pretty much same, just doesn't include the extra goodies.

mpark9000 04-06-2005 10:51 PM

Quote:

Well, given a choice between Focusrite preamps, or the negligable over-hyped improvement of 96k sample rates, I think I'd take the Focusrites. That's just as far as "better" goes feature wise. I have an Mbox on my laptop right now, and am getting an 1814, so I'll have a more detailed opinion later.

nerd513 04-06-2005 11:33 PM

dont forget to tack on $350!!!!!!!!!!! for pro tools m powerd software SOLD SEPERATELY

bigbadhenchman 04-06-2005 11:38 PM

Quote:

Well, given a choice between Focusrite preamps, or the negligable over-hyped improvement of 96k sample rates, I think I'd take the Focusrites.

You really believe tyhat those Focusrite are any better. Dream on. They're focusrites in name only.
We have soem platinum channels at work, and they suck. No headroom, noisy and thin.

mpark9000 04-07-2005 12:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, given a choice between Focusrite preamps, or the negligable over-hyped improvement of 96k sample rates, I think I'd take the Focusrites.

You really believe tyhat those Focusrite are any better. Dream on. They're focusrites in name only.
We have soem platinum channels at work, and they suck. No headroom, noisy and thin.

So you're saying that the A/D converters and mic pre are better in the M-Audio gear? Have you ever owned any M-Audio gear? Well, I have and it's OK, pretty good bang-for-the-buck, but I don't think it holds up to any of the true Digi gear in comparison. An MBox isn't exactly known for it's pristine sound, but the M-Audio stuff comes in at even a little below that.

Luckily the 1814 has ADAT lightpipe to avoid the built in converters.

My point is that if you are going to say it's "better" because of it's ability to use a higher sampling rate, you may have be overlooking the things that make a bigger difference in terms of sound quality. The signal chain is only as good as it's weakest link.

danika 04-07-2005 01:58 PM

Quote:

Plus, even with the cheapest m-audio card you get Midi, and 4 ins and outs,
Shane

4 ins and outs has always been somewhat of a slight of hand with M-Audio. It's really 2 analog in/out plus 2 S/PDIF in/out.