Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations... (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=24783)

The Eggman 06-11-2002 09:42 PM

Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Well,

As I said earlier, MM was only trying to stir up the pot to get some much needed traffic at his PSW site. Of course, he never planned to revisit the test about which he went on and on on this forum, his forum and every forum on the net, and I think we all know what to make of that. In Hollywood, there are many wannabe's that talk the talk but can't walk the walk. I'm only sorry, Dave, that you were a pawn in his game.

Interesting that he's been so silent now that real engineers are standing up and refuting his outlandish claims ("gee, sounds like -6db @5ohz")...

Puh-lease!

Next time, MM, check the cabling!

Mixerman 06-12-2002 12:13 AM

Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Quote:

Originally posted by DaveCarlock:
Hey everyone,

At this stage, I haven't heard a reply from MM since last week. If I don't hear from him by Friday, I will officially call the retest a forfeit. At that point I will leave my info with him and if he ever does a test, I'll be happy to attend.

Beyond that, I'm personally satisfied with the various "unscientific" tests and opinions that have been sent to me. I haven't mentioned them here since they were private correspondences that I had been asked to keep quiet, so I did--just as I've kept MM's identity quiet as well. Thanks for all your input in thinking through the test procedures. Perhaps we'll meet someday, making music.

There comes a point when doing the test "just because" isn't reason enough. If MM is in, I'll be there. As well, I appreciate all of your willingness to let me know I'm off the hook to do this. With your reprieve, I'm now free to turn my attention to simpler matters of unfinished business like helping OJ find the "real killer" or overseeing the Florida recounts.

puhh--RUMPP bumpp!

But seriously, I'm diving head first into a new record in July and will need to bid this adieu before then.

Thanks for all the nice comments and best wishes.

DC

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, we're doing the retest. Now that I see Wyn Davis has a rig, I'll have to give him a call. Of course he doesn't ahve a Studer over there..

I might point out, that I've been waiting for Dave Carlock's impossible schedule. Almost as bad as mine.

Mixerman

Henchman 06-12-2002 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jules:

Jules "in the rain" Standen

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Shouldn't that be : Jules Standen "in the rain"?

DaveCarlock 06-12-2002 01:56 AM

Well, there you have it folks--the test will be done. I'd like to be there if I can, MM, keep me posted.

Eggman,

You never did tell us how you know the traffic count of MM's forum--as you say it's so low...

Hmmm...

And as always, things aren't always as they seem and the Eggman has attempted to scramble up the truth by pretending to know what's gone on in MM's world that's prevented him from doing the test. And if he thinks I was a pawn, and especially if he thinks MM's a wannabe, then the yolks on him.

MM's latest response means that this is not a forfeit. We'll see how it turns out.

Oh, and Eggman--thanks so much for letting us know it was the cabling. You know, it's been nearly three months and yet NOT A SINGLE POST IN OVER 800 POSTS HAS QUESTIONED THE CABLING!!! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Silly us... What were we thinking?

DC

slangification 06-12-2002 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DaveCarlock:
Eggman,

You never did tell us how you know the traffic count of MM's forum--as you say it's so low...

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's easy to tell the traffic over there because there's a clearly displayed counter that indicates how many times a given thread has been viewed.

BTW, yes, MM is indeed going to do the retest. He's just waiting for the Nets to hurry up and win the finals.

PTLance 06-12-2002 06:54 PM

Then we'd be waiting a long time 'cause the Lakers will win!!

stoneinapond 06-13-2002 06:23 AM

So now the Lakers have won. What's next. Washing machine broken? [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Jules 06-13-2002 03:57 PM

Test! Test! Test!

Try to get Rail to attend, he is probably the most respected Digi User Conference 'regular' that has expressed an interest in this topic... (IMHO)

Don't De-Rail the test!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

loudist 06-13-2002 08:32 PM

Please do test with a PT24 rig at 44.1 and 48 while you are at it.
That would also be an interesting comparison with PTHD, possibly the most interesting.

DaveCarlock 06-13-2002 10:04 PM

Loudist,

Do you mean MIX rig or PT24? I hope the former...

At this stage, I'm wating for MM to setup the test and coordinate it himself and then let me know when it's on. I will do my best to change my schedule to be there. Once all that happens, we'll see how much time we have at MM's studio to do other testing beyond his retest. If we have time, perhaps we can compare a few other things for "fun". This is up to MM though, it's his game now.

Jules, I would like to see Rail there too. Let's see how it all goes down with everyone's schedules.

DC