Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Guitar amp line out (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=130798)

mBoxLuvr 03-02-2005 08:48 PM

Guitar amp line out

Anyone here have any issues with using a guitar amps line out or speaker emulation into Mbox?
Ive only tried one amp so far (Marshall TSL60 head) and so far its been tweak hell.
Im not getting any answers from Marshall or music store with my probs.
Im hoping its not my Mbox, but Ive tested a different Mbox (newer) and it seemed fine. But I didnt spend that much time testing that one.
Some issues I have is whether the Mbox pres can handle distortion from the Marshalls Speaker Emulation. Im getting intermitent audio during recording and playback.
Any experiences will do so please reply with some results. It dont matter what amp you have, I just wanna know if its worth wasting my time over this option.

Matt Whritenour 03-02-2005 09:29 PM

Re: Guitar amp line out

do u have the amp pluged into a cab at the same time? because as far as i know if there is not a cab hooked up you can screw up ur amp because ur head need's to be able to release the load that it is putting out

you would probalby need something like this
http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1604

wolfskin 03-02-2005 10:04 PM

Also note, the line out comes after the preamp section, but before the power tubes of the amplifier... This is going to sound very different than the speaker cabinet. Especially on Marshall amps, the power tubes are what adds the color / flavor to the tone. You would be better suited micing the cabinet. If loud volume is the issue, use a powerbrake, or consider using plug-ins...

Hope this helps...

mBoxLuvr 03-03-2005 05:09 AM

Thanks for the tips folks:)
Yes I have the cab hooked up (I was warned before I left the store with this puppy:).
I do understand about the audio differences with this option, but my problem is that it sounds too way off from a decent guitar amp sound. Sometimes it sounds like an AM Radio losing signal:P
The heads fine on its own. The Mbox seems fine with mics and trs cables straight from instrument.
Also, I live in an apartment and no I cant turn it up as loud as I should:(
I guess Ill venture into adding Guitar Rig to my mini-studio:)
Thanks again guys for the help:)

cruisemates 03-03-2005 06:09 AM

I've posted this about 4 times lately - it's the complete guide to recording electric guitar in about 200 seperate articles. Lots of good stuff here. I don't know who or why is behind the web site, but it makes great reading . . .

http://www.amptone.com/index.html

rgorka09 03-03-2005 11:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the tips folks:)
Yes I have the cab hooked up (I was warned before I left the store with this puppy:).
I do understand about the audio differences with this option, but my problem is that it sounds too way off from a decent guitar amp sound. Sometimes it sounds like an AM Radio losing signal:P
The heads fine on its own. The Mbox seems fine with mics and trs cables straight from instrument.
Also, I live in an apartment and no I cant turn it up as loud as I should:(
I guess Ill venture into adding Guitar Rig to my mini-studio:)
Thanks again guys for the help:)

I have used all sorts of amp simulators. Pod Pro, Bass Pod Pro, Pod xt, Bass Pod xt, Sans Amp hardware and software, Amplitube....

You will LOVE Guitar Rig...IMO nothing beats it! Sounds frickin amazing!!

-Gorka

mBoxLuvr 03-29-2005 05:18 AM

Re: Guitar amp line out <<

Following up on this situation.
We have found the culprit!
It turns out that the original cabinet I purchased (Marshall 1960 greenbacks 25wt each) was faulty somewhere in the ohms/circuitry. This was anoying live cause I had to put the Marshall TSL60 to about 8 just to compete with the other guitarist little 40wt single speaker combo:P
The mbox didnt not like the combo and I discovered that when I took home a rental Marshall 1960A vintage 30s cabinet for some live gigs. The line-out is awesome on PTLE! I really like tones Im getting and its clear as day now:) I still would like to add Guitar Rig, but at the moment Im booked solid every week-end (live gigs) till end of summer:)
Thanks to all who contributed on this matter. luving my mbox again;)

PTLE 6.7cs8
Dell Precision Workstation 670
Xeon 3GHz/2GG RAM/Nvidia FX3400
PRS SwampAsh
Marshall TSL60/<cabinet pending>

cruisemates 03-29-2005 08:07 AM

Re: Guitar amp line out <<

Glad to hear since I just got my Marshall DSL 401 last night (Happy Happy Happy) and it also has a line-out option. I do plan on miking it, to be sure, but if the direct is good I'll try it, too.