Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Dashed lines in MIDI tracks when I cut/copy or paste notes (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=369433)

Siegfried Meier 07-03-2015 09:01 AM

Dashed lines in MIDI tracks when I cut/copy or paste notes

What's happening in 12 that's changed? There's strange dashed lines showing up in MIDI tracks when I cut/copy or paste MIDI notes. I'm also still having issues with Massey's DRT that won't allow me to tab to MIDI notes all the time - very inconsistent behaviour. It never happened in 11 and previous versions. Also, undo doesn't seem to undo a paste, and pasting a note too close to another one deletes the first note…all weird stuff that never existed before.

Does anyone have insight on what's going on?

Thanks,
Sig

Shan 07-03-2015 11:31 AM

Re: Dashed lines in MIDI tracks when I cut/copy or paste notes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siegfried Meier (Post 2274064)
What's happening in 12 that's changed?

There's been a few MIDI bug fixes. The only new MIDI feature I'm aware of is the new "Manual Tempo Entry with Conductor Enabled".

Quote:

There's strange dashed lines showing up in MIDI tracks when I cut/copy or paste MIDI notes.
Can you post a screen shot of that. Thanks.

...and yes, MIDI needs more attention. I'm hoping we'll see new stuff fairly soon down the road.

Shane

Siegfried Meier 07-03-2015 11:58 AM

http://www.siegfriedmeier.com/screen...MIDI%20Bug.png

Shan 07-03-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siegfried Meier (Post 2274105)

Seeing that also. I'd consider that a UI bug/issue, as it's very sporadic and random.

Shane

Ianduarte 07-03-2015 08:44 PM

I guess what you see are the blocks. Select to view clips or blocks and consolidate them. This will make these lines go away.

Shan 07-03-2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianduarte (Post 2274178)
I guess what you see are the blocks. Select to view clips or blocks and consolidate them. This will make these lines go away.

These are dotted lines that weren't in previous versions. Prior versions had the normal solid lines it always had that represented the clip boundaries in notes view. The dotted lines are very random and don't always show. Sometimes they're dotted, and sometimes they're solid. They'll also randomly change. That random behavior I would deem a UI bug/issue new to 12.1. :-)

Shane

Siegfried Meier 07-04-2015 06:33 AM

Well, even if this IS only a graphical bug, all of those other things I'm experiencing are real, operational bugs…otherwise they'd still be there with the same session when I open up 11HD.

I was hoping the latest release would fix them, but it appears they are 100% the same as they were in the first release of 12…a shame, since it stops us from actually doing anything productive with the latest version.

cherryrecording 07-04-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

These are dotted lines that weren't in previous versions
I've seen this in 11.3.1HD also: http://lookpic.com/O/i2/1859/iTi7kkp.png

If I open the session in 10.3.8HD the lines appear normally.

It doesn't affect the audio in any way, so I just consider it another PT quirk.

Eric Lambert 07-04-2015 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan (Post 2274185)
These are dotted lines that weren't in previous versions. Prior versions had the normal solid lines it always had that represented the clip boundaries in notes view. The dotted lines are very random and don't always show. Sometimes they're dotted, and sometimes they're solid. They'll also randomly change. That random behavior I would deem a UI bug/issue new to 12.1. :-)

Shane

Unfortunately, that's not the case. We don't see it often but we do see this in PT 10.3.10, and prior versions, too. Graphically it looks exactly like the above screenshot. Technically, MIDI information might be fine.

Emcha_audio 07-04-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siegfried Meier (Post 2274064)
What's happening in 12 that's changed? There's strange dashed lines showing up in MIDI tracks when I cut/copy or paste MIDI notes. I'm also still having issues with Massey's DRT that won't allow me to tab to MIDI notes all the time - very inconsistent behaviour. It never happened in 11 and previous versions. Also, undo doesn't seem to undo a paste, and pasting a note too close to another one deletes the first note…all weird stuff that never existed before.

Does anyone have insight on what's going on?

Thanks,
Sig

Can you try trashing your prefs, I have worked on 12.1 today and I was able to undo every paste I did. Also as from notes being pasting and deleting the previous notes, if you select a region and that region has silence before that note, that silence will also be pasted erasing what could previously be where the silence falls. This is not new.