Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405912)

hitsville 08-10-2019 08:24 AM

2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working
 
Anybody else getting this? Sometimes I launch PT and open a session and HEAT is not available anymore. No option to set it on, it just disappeared. If heat was used on the session I’m opening I get an error message saying something like the original session includes heat but my software doesn’t have it. Quitting and relaunching Pro Tools usually fixes it. Am I the only one experiencing this?

unkJE 08-10-2019 09:22 AM

Re: 2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working
 
I haven’t experienced this, especially as you said “Quitting and relaunching Pro Tools usually fixes it.”

I had to install the latest iLok License Manager, deactivate then reactivate the HEAT license in iLok License Manager, then synchronize the HEAT iLok.

Interested to know if this fixes your issue.

My issue was different – I couldn’t see HEAT (on a separate iLok) in 2019.6 "vanilla" at all, until I did the iLok License Manager steps mentioned above.

xrekcor 08-10-2019 08:10 PM

Re: 2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working
 
Hey mate,

Sorry for butting in here.....

How are you liking HEAT? I watched a couple of vids Dave Hill put out there and listening through both my studio monitors and a fairly decent set of headphones. Sounded pretty appealing to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unkJE (Post 2535124)
I haven’t experienced this, especially as you said “Quitting and relaunching Pro Tools usually fixes it.”

I had to install the latest iLok License Manager, deactivate then reactivate the HEAT license in iLok License Manager, then synchronize the HEAT iLok.

Interested to know if this fixes your issue.

My issue was different – I couldn’t see HEAT (on a separate iLok) in 2019.6 "vanilla" at all, until I did the iLok License Manager steps mentioned above.


unkJE 08-10-2019 09:22 PM

Re: 2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2535146)
...How are you liking HEAT? I watched a couple of vids Dave Hill put out there and listening through both my studio monitors and a fairly decent set of headphones. Sounded pretty appealing to me.

Love it!
I saw these tips'n views:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson (Post 2531344)
HEAT sounds appropriately subtle when you drop the level of each track down to -20dBFS=0VU or lower with clip-gain and then mix with it on. It doesn't sound good when hitting it any higher than that or after the fact on a mix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson (Post 2533849)
Clip-gain gives you lots more control over HEAT.

(I also prefer "9:30 to 10:30 AM"):
Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonica (Post 2533253)
... I love HEAT. At first I was using HEAT's tube saturation (drive turned to right / clockwise) but now I set HEAT to tape saturation (drive knob to left / counterclockwise) and it feels more smooth and pleasant. It's all about the SOUND (which is wonderful) but the tight / seamless integration in Pro Tools allows HEAT to really be set it and forget it.... either recording or jamming HEAT is on all the time!

Yet to test "HEAT messes up LLM Delay Compensation":
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwinstar (Post 2511716)
Hi everybody,
I decided to start a new thread, because i think this is an interesting issue, probably even a bug:
What's the issue? Record enabled Track plays ahead of rest of Session before punch in and sounds super-not-groovy!
Normally when I have a Session with let's say 2500 Samples total system delay, use Low Latency Monitoring (LLM) and then decide I want to punch in on an existing Audio Track, looking at the Delay Compensation Numbers I can observe that even when record enable is pressed, existing Audio playing before i punch in will be compensated for those 2500 Samples and sounds right on the beat.
BUT: when I have HEAT activated, the existing Audio on the record enabled track is only shifted 430 Samples instead of 2500 and as mentioned above, sounds super-not-groovy!
Only Solution: Turn off HEAT Globally!
Anyone else experiences this? Is it a bug? Should I report?

Hey Rob - if you have the time to try the Trial:
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkJE (Post 2535090)
Workaround - anybody care to test?
My “old” HEAT license works with 2019.6 (“Vanilla”) – but I had to install the latest iLok License Manager, deactivate then reactivate the “old” HEAT license in iLok License Manager, then synchronize the HEAT iLok.
Therefore, the 30-DAY TRIAL should work for those using 2019.6 (“Vanilla”), who want HEAT today – if they follow the above steps in ILM.
https://www.avid.com/support/trialdownload/HEAT


And - so as not to derail the OP (hitsville):
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitsville (Post 2535121)
Anybody else getting this? Sometimes I launch PT and open a session and HEAT is not available anymore. No option to set it on, it just disappeared. If heat was used on the session I’m opening I get an error message saying something like the original session includes heat but my software doesn’t have it. Quitting and relaunching Pro Tools usually fixes it. Am I the only one experiencing this?


kedavis 08-11-2019 12:11 AM

Re: 2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitsville (Post 2535121)
Anybody else getting this?

I'm using a trial version of HEAT with PT 2019.6 Vanilla and not experiencing this.

On a side note, great tips unkJE!!

xrekcor 08-11-2019 01:18 AM

Re: 2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working
 
Awesome tips but I did think I asked him what he thought..... but great!:cool:


Quote:

Originally Posted by kedavis (Post 2535155)
I'm using a trial version of HEAT with PT 2019.6 Vanilla and not experiencing this.

On a side note, great tips unkJE!!


xrekcor 08-11-2019 01:21 AM

Re: 2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working
 
Excellent, Thanks for sharing man....

Quote:

Originally Posted by unkJE (Post 2535150)
Love it!
I saw these tips'n views:





(I also prefer "9:30 to 10:30 AM"):


Yet to test "HEAT messes up LLM Delay Compensation":


Hey Rob - if you have the time to try the Trial:



And - so as not to derail the OP (hitsville):


hitsville 08-11-2019 02:21 AM

Re: 2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkJE (Post 2535124)
I haven’t experienced this, especially as you said “Quitting and relaunching Pro Tools usually fixes it.”

I had to install the latest iLok License Manager, deactivate then reactivate the HEAT license in iLok License Manager, then synchronize the HEAT iLok.

Interested to know if this fixes your issue.

My issue was different – I couldn’t see HEAT (on a separate iLok) in 2019.6 "vanilla" at all, until I did the iLok License Manager steps mentioned above.

I'm using the trial so I'm a bit afraid of losing the license when deactivating & reactivating it (never tried this with a demo, I know it should work but you never know, also I'm waiting for the sale to buy the full license)

Basically it seems that every single time I launch pro tools after having rebooted my computer (so every morning so far), Heat disappears. Then I quit PT and relaunch and it's back.. weird!

unkJE 08-11-2019 07:47 AM

Re: 2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitsville (Post 2535165)
I'm using the trial so I'm a bit afraid of losing the license when deactivating & reactivating it (never tried this with a demo, I know it should work but you never know ....

Felt a bit hesitant the very 1st time I did this myself – but, like everything else in life, it really is quite easy, once you know how!

To deactivate and reactivate a license in iLok License Manager, left-click (in the left-hand column) on the iLok that includes the HEAT license.

On the right-hand side of the page, under “Product Name”, left-click on the HEAT license. This will highlight it, giving it a blue background.

Right-click on the HEAT license. This opens a drop-down Menu. Left-click on the 4th option: “Deactivate”. This opens a new box, where you hit the OK button to “Confirm Deactivation”.

This moves the HEAT license from your iLok, to your iLok Cloud. You can still see HEAT: at the top of the page, under View>Available Licenses. (This step is not necessary – I only mention it to reassure you that your HEAT license will still be available).

In View>Available Licenses, left click on the HEAT license to highlight it, then drag it back onto your iLok in the left-hand column. This opens a new box, where you hit the OK button to confirm this action. Wait a bit – give it time to move back to your iLok.

Left-click (in the left-hand column) on your iLok with the HEAT license. This highlights the iLok. Right-click on this iLok, then left-click on the 1st option: “Synchronize”. Wait for the Spinning Ball to disappear – then you can Sign Out - via the drop-down arrow on the RHS of your iLok Account Name (light blue background).

I can’t guarantee this will fix your issue, but, I’m interested to know the result. Good luck!

hitsville 08-11-2019 09:00 AM

Re: 2019.6 vanilla/ HEAT not always working
 
thanks, I will give it a try and let you know!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com