Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Pro Tools Ultimae 2019.6 - not responding blue circle (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406121)

IntelDoc 08-28-2019 09:25 AM

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6 - not responding blue circle

Hey all, it's been a long time.

Need to ask something. I am a 19 year Pro Tools user and have seen a bunch of madness with windows builds, etc but I have ALWAYS been a Windows user with Pro Tools. About a year ago I upgraded to HDX and a new Windows machine. I went with a AMD Ryzen chip (I know it is not officially supported) but it works really well when it works and it is fast as all hell and back.

When I upgraded to 2019.6 from 2019.5 things got a lot better, but recently I have been seeing random freezes where Pro Tools will get the Blue Circle and go unresponsive. This lasts about a minute or so and then goes back to normal. I have put is a ticket to AVID, but of course it comes back as a "This is not a supported machine" blah blah. I can say in 19 years I have never had a "supported machine" and have done just fine. This seems to be something weird, a setting maybe that I missed? I used all their configuration things minus the "Run as Admin" as that never seemed to be a problem and I am the admin on my user account.

Any thoughts would be great. I can run a 96k 24bit session with 128 tracks and have zero issues recording, mixing etc, then all of a sudden, blue circle, hang a bit, refreshes and back to normal. No real reason that I can see.

System is a

Pro Tools Ultimate HDX 2019.6
AMD Ryzen 2700X
64gb DDR4 3200 ram
M.2 Pro 960 (main OS)
All Drives are SSD Audio, Loop Libraries, etc

This happens with the smallest of session and zero plugins. But then it will happen with a moderate session

Thanks again for any help

Doc

FunkzzaJ 08-28-2019 11:00 AM

Re: Pro Tools Ultimae 2019.6 - not responding blue circle

Check if OneDrive is the culprit. Was for me. Long sync times.

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk

Darryl Ramm 08-28-2019 11:48 AM

Sisoft Sandra report? Run that with all your drives connected and explain what drive is used for what if not obvious.

You don't have an optical disc inserted in a drive do you? Remove all.

What else have you changed... e.g. installed any backup software recently that adds virtual drives. Anything at all? Automatic Windows updates disabled?

What troubleshooting have you tried? Trashing prefs? Removing all .aaxplugin file from their plugin folder (yes even if you are not using plugins). What is disk cache set to? Make sure nothing else is running, no web browsers, etc. Try disabling all network interfaces, unplug all unneeded USB etc. peripherals. Try running a trivial session on your boot drive (just to try anything else).

Leave the Pro Tools performance meters up on the screen and see if they are doing anything usual when this happens.

I'll eat my hat if this is Ryzen related, sad that Avid Support is so unhelpful.

IntelDoc 08-29-2019 09:07 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. Thinking about it, I am willing to bet that OneDrive is the culprit and I never thought about it. I have all my sessions, prefs and a few other folders set to backup via FolderClonbe Pro nightly to a external drive as well as my Business Google Cloud service. This is in fact mapped with OneDrive to do it nightly. What I am thinking is happening, AND IT MAKES TOTAL SENSE, is once I start a new session, that is pinging the drive folder and in turn causing things to sync up. The Sync is still getting data as the session runs, records, updates the autobackup, etc and then causing Pro Tools to hiccup.

I am going to take the external drive, move to the other machine that is my movie server and backup. Map that drive to my Pro Tools rig and do a nightly push to the Backup Drive. Then on the OTHER machine that will push to the cloud. That way it is only hitting the external drive and then the other machine will take over for the cloud push.

That will then allow me to uninstall OneDrive altogether.

Makes total sense - damn windows.

The other stuff I have optimized that the other comment had posted.

Again, thanks for the inputs, it opened up things that I was not looking at. Will post back to let ya know.

Thanks

Doc

FunkzzaJ 08-29-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelDoc (Post 2536630)
Thanks guys for the replies. Thinking about it, I am willing to bet that OneDrive is the culprit and I never thought about it. I have all my sessions, prefs and a few other folders set to backup via FolderClonbe Pro nightly to a external drive as well as my Business Google Cloud service. This is in fact mapped with OneDrive to do it nightly. What I am thinking is happening, AND IT MAKES TOTAL SENSE, is once I start a new session, that is pinging the drive folder and in turn causing things to sync up. The Sync is still getting data as the session runs, records, updates the autobackup, etc and then causing Pro Tools to hiccup.

I am going to take the external drive, move to the other machine that is my movie server and backup. Map that drive to my Pro Tools rig and do a nightly push to the Backup Drive. Then on the OTHER machine that will push to the cloud. That way it is only hitting the external drive and then the other machine will take over for the cloud push.

That will then allow me to uninstall OneDrive altogether.

Makes total sense - damn windows.

The other stuff I have optimized that the other comment had posted.

Again, thanks for the inputs, it opened up things that I was not looking at. Will post back to let ya know.

Thanks

Doc

Yeah , pls let us know. I begin to believe that OneDrive is an UFO (unwanted f.. obstacle) that deserves a place in the W10 optimization shortlist. .

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk

The Weed 08-30-2019 11:28 AM

Directly from MS: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...rs=en-US&ad=US