Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Plugins changing their settings (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404026)

HenrikUdd 04-08-2019 03:21 AM

Plugins changing their settings

I've been having a problem with plugin changing settings that's been torturing me over many years, probably since 2009 or so.

Been throwing away preferences and all many times with no success.
Have been the same on a couple of Macs and thought I would be free from it when I bought my iMac, but the problem has even increased and is now happening a lot on my beloved avid EQIII 7band.

Was mainly a problem back in the days with Focusrite red EQ ff d2 band6.
When using it on an aux track it would always change the settings to the next time you open up the session. So I had to save it as a preset and then next time
when opening the session hit the compare button in the plugin. After doing that once it will usually stay that way forever after that.

After Avids Pitch plugin came back it's been doing the same for me where I have to automate it to remember it's pitch. Echoboy been weird as well changing from 1/2 to 1/8 etc.

But since two years back EQIII been doing the same thing and I use this one quite a lot to notch out small stuff and it's a bit of a nightmare to always have to save a preset and then check if it's made the compare button blue and cursive.

Anyone's experienced the same or got any solution for it?? Thanks!

Here's a quick video showing when it's does it on focus rite and Pitch, didn't get it to change on EQIII and echoey for this one
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dby8im6x9j...tting.mov?dl=0

ashokleyland 04-08-2019 06:11 AM

Re: Plugins changing their settings

Hello,

I see that you have automation enabled on all plug-ins parameters by default, could it be this? Maybe you can try with this option disabled? I have never seen this behavior myself.

HenrikUdd 04-08-2019 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashokleyland (Post 2521502)
Hello,

I see that you have automation enabled on all plug-ins parameters by default, could it be this? Maybe you can try with this option disabled? I have never seen this behavior myself.

Hey! Thanks for the reply. Yes I've been thinking If that could have something to do with it and was gonna write it in my post. But at least focusrite EQ behaved like this way before that was an option and I've been running EQIII for at least 2-3 years with that option on without any problems. But I will try it and see if it helps. Can't imagine having to manually set what parameter to automate now when I'm so used to cmd+ctrl clicking any parameter :(
Thanks!

HenrikUdd 04-10-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashokleyland (Post 2521502)
Hello,

Turns out it was the "Plug-in controls default to auto-enabled" :(

Don't know what to do without that one as it such a good workflow option.

Could anyone try to replicate it with the pitch plugin?
Turn on "Plug-in controls default to auto-enabled" and add a track with pitch and set it to whatever.
Close session and open it and it will be resetted.

arche3 04-10-2019 05:04 PM

Turn off automation in plugins until you need to automate something. It's like 1 setting. Lol.

Also if you have auto enabled depending on automation mode ( most likely latch after write) the plugin will write the change on the timeline but be in the original value everywhere else in the start of timeline. Unless you write to start. Or current value.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

HenrikUdd 04-11-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 2521816)
Turn off automation in plugins until you need to automate something. It's like 1 setting. Lol.

Also if you have auto enabled depending on automation mode ( most likely latch after write) the plugin will write the change on the timeline but be in the original value everywhere else in the start of timeline. Unless you write to start. Or current value.

Hey!

Mixing is the only thing I do every day, I need it to be fast ok. it's like having a carpenter looking for the right screwdriver head for every screw he mounts lol
Don't want to spend time looking for the right parameter in a long list of crap.
Avid made an option for it and you'd think it would work but it hasn't been working since 2008 or whatever, in fact just got worse since more and more plugins is having issue like EQ7, slate and lots of plugin alliance ones.

Did a little video of what a lot of the plugins automation list look like and finding anything in there rather than ctrl+cmd clicking it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gydsp3zmy3...ation.mov?dl=0

amagras 04-11-2019 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrikUdd (Post 2521843)
Hey!

Mixing is the only thing I do every day, I need it to be fast ok. it's like having a carpenter looking for the right screwdriver head for every screw he mounts lol

Don't want to spend time looking for the right parameter in a long list of crap.

Avid made an option for it and you'd think it would work but it hasn't been working since 2008 or whatever, in fact just got worse since more and more plugins is having issue like EQ7, slate and lots of plugin alliance ones.

Did a little video of what a lot of the plugins automation list look like and finding anything in there rather than ctrl+cmd clicking it.

Not that I disagree with this but there's also a simple command to activate all of the automation parameters at once.

arche3 04-11-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrikUdd (Post 2521843)
Hey!

I mix everyday too. I use a d control so its 1 button press for me. Pretty sure there is a key command for it somewhere. But don't quote me.

HenrikUdd 04-11-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 2521850)
I mix everyday too. I use a d control so its 1 button press for me. Pretty sure there is a key command for it somewhere. But don't quote me.

Thanks guys! Didn't know there was a command for that. Gonna look into it :)

Awesome, just clicking ctrl+alt+cmd on the plugin automation playlist does the job, sure I'll find it now on my controller too. Thanks!

BScout 04-11-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrikUdd (Post 2521773)
Turns out it was the "Plug-in controls default to auto-enabled" :(

Don't know what to do without that one as it such a good workflow option.

Could anyone try to replicate it with the pitch plugin?
Turn on "Plug-in controls default to auto-enabled" and add a track with pitch and set it to whatever.
Close session and open it and it will be resetted.

Zero issue here. Nothing gets reset. Auto-enabled stays auto-enabled.

PT 2018.12