Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Waves 12 wup (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412441)

rossi68 10-30-2020 02:29 AM

Waves 12 wup

Hi,

I own some waves bundles/plugins(quite a few really, due to all the sales, I,m weak)
Most of them are v9, some are v10 and one v11

To renew the update plan I need to pay 260$
Is there any big advantage upgrading to v12 over v9?

Anyone knows if there is a difference in cpu usage in the versions?

Rossi

Stephen Bond 10-30-2020 03:58 AM

Re: Waves 12 wup

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossi68 (Post 2581425)
Hi,

I own some waves bundles/plugins(quite a few really, due to all the sales, I,m weak)
Most of them are v9, some are v10 and one v11

To renew the update plan I need to pay 260$
Is there any big advantage upgrading to v12 over v9?

Anyone knows if there is a difference in cpu usage in the versions?

Rossi

Get yourself over to https://www.audiodeluxe.com/upgrades/waves-update-plan

You'll save a bit. If you wait Waves have the WUP discounted once or twice a year so you can save some more. I think it will be another 20 or maybe 25%? You might see the discount in the Black Friday sale?

I WUPed back in June and it cost me $160 from AudioDeluxe. I had licenses at V9, 10 and 11 so I was glad to get them all to the same version. Most of them are now at V12.

You'll get extra products in your bundles with the version change. Also, bug fixes and new features.

The plugin resizing is welcome in V12 but the increased sizes lack sharpness in the graphics department. If you are on a small laptop like myself for much of the time, the reduced plugin sizes are good, although difficult to read in some cases.

The preset browser is great and really useful, especially with those plugins which come with scores of presets.

There's no difference in CPU usage. If you have a Mac you'll need a system which supports Metal in the graphics department.

Stephen

WorldStudios 10-30-2020 04:26 AM

Also, consider upgrading your bundle/s as well.. Sometimes an upgrade is cheaper than the WUP - and you get 1 year of WUP thrown in for the plugins you upgrade. And always wait for a crazy sale, which they do every other week. :D

Southsidemusic 10-30-2020 04:44 AM

But NO CPU efficience at all over V9 just to be super clear .... and maybe not update if you dont need to as Waves plugins are pretty sad really

Stephen Bond 10-30-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldStudios (Post 2581430)
Also, consider upgrading your bundle/s as well.. Sometimes an upgrade is cheaper than the WUP - and you get 1 year of WUP thrown in for the plugins you upgrade. And always wait for a crazy sale, which they do every other week. :D

Good advice. I upgraded till I could go no further, hence I WUPed. If you can always check out the upgrade prices and keep in mind the cost of purchasing. Sometimes purchasing the plugins or bundle is cheaper than upgrading.

Stephen

rossi68 10-31-2020 01:50 AM

Thanks for det input.
Good advice to wait for the right offer :)

WorldStudios 11-01-2020 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Bond (Post 2581457)
Good advice. I upgraded till I could go no further, hence I WUPed. If you can always check out the upgrade prices and keep in mind the cost of purchasing. Sometimes purchasing the plugins or bundle is cheaper than upgrading.

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen. I can no longer upgrade either but the Abbey Road bundle is a bit weird in that sense. When a new AR plugin appears it is never included in the bundle and I can upgrade the bundle, usually cheaper than buying that plugin. Plus all the AR plugins get a year of WUP, so that’s a good plan if that plugin is something you want.

TOM@METRO 11-01-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2581432)
But NO CPU efficience at all over V9 just to be super clear .... and maybe not update if you dont need to as Waves plugins are pretty sad really

But you must admit, this was pretty cool stuff back in the nineties.

WorldStudios 11-02-2020 06:58 AM

It was pretty awesome in TDM all the way into the 00's! I paid an arm and a leg for mercury + ssl TDM back then. Those were not the days for buying plugins. :D

Southsidemusic 11-02-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2581639)
But you must admit, this was pretty cool stuff back in the nineties.

It was indeed :D

But now there are soo much better plugins even though we hardly use any of the 300-400 plugins we have since hardware is soo much better sounding.