Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   new install of Pro Tools 2020.3: two questions (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409460)

dg27 04-10-2020 02:59 PM

new install of Pro Tools 2020.3: two questions
 
I just finished installing PT 2020.3 and all of my plugins. in 6 cases plugins created their own folders within "My Documents," but not inside the Pro Tools folder. I'm assuming that I can't just move them in there, right? (These folders have the presets.)

I've been using Trasher 3 for a while now, but I'm unsure whether I should back up everything that's listed. I know that in most cases you don't restore everything, but I can't remember whether in the past I backed up everything (or whether that's advisable).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

lesbrunn 04-10-2020 08:14 PM

Re: new install of Pro Tools 2020.3: two questions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dg27 (Post 2561101)
I just finished installing PT 2020.3 and all of my plugins. in 6 cases plugins created their own folders within "My Documents," but not inside the Pro Tools folder. I'm assuming that I can't just move them in there, right? (These folders have the presets.)

I've been using Trasher 3 for a while now, but I'm unsure whether I should back up everything that's listed. I know that in most cases you don't restore everything, but I can't remember whether in the past I backed up everything (or whether that's advisable).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I've never seen this before. All AAX plugins should go into the PT plugins folder. You don't even need to do anything; it's automatic. Maybe you should uninstall and re-install those plugins? Was 2020 a clean install? In my experience with Windows things can sometimes go wrong if you install on top of an older version. I don't think Mac users have that problem. If it wasn't a clean install, you may be able to save yourself a lot of trouble by redoing it. You can backup stuff in Trasher if you are happy with what you are backing up. If not, you can always redo it.

dg27 04-10-2020 10:10 PM

Re: new install of Pro Tools 2020.3: two questions
 
Thanks, for your reply, lesbrunn.

This was a clean install of 2020.3 soon after a clean install of Windows 10 Pro.

I think I'll just uninstall and reinstall those six plugins.

I don't use the Windows "My Documents" folder for anything other than programs that put files there (like Pro Tools). But I don't like having random folders for loose plugins outside the PT folder.

As for Trasher, I just back up everything.

Thanks for your help.

dg

EGS 04-11-2020 07:39 AM

Re: new install of Pro Tools 2020.3: two questions
 
I'd let the plug installer put things to whatever default location it wants. I do, however, install (or move) all VI sample libraries (but not the plug) to a separate drive.

dg27 04-11-2020 08:34 AM

Re: new install of Pro Tools 2020.3: two questions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2561166)
I'd let the plug installer put things to whatever default location it wants. I do, however, install (or move) all VI sample libraries (but not the plug) to a separate drive.

Thanks for the advice. Just to rule out any errors, I think I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of these to see where they put them. I have all my presets backed up on other drives.

EGS 04-11-2020 03:49 PM

Re: new install of Pro Tools 2020.3: two questions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dg27 (Post 2561182)
Thanks for the advice. Just to rule out any errors, I think I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of these to see where they put them. I have all my presets backed up on other drives.

If you decide to re-install a plug:

1. uninstall
2. CCleaner (I use the free version) & run this https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/cclean...istry-cleaning and then this https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/cclean...eaning-your-pc
3. Check the plug website and DL the latest version, re-install
4. reboot & launch Pro Tools


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com