Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   2018.1 and no Automation (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396661)

jre3132 01-26-2018 02:46 PM

2018.1 and no Automation

I've updated to 2018.1 and have been mixing a song with no issues today (well....one crash). All of the sudden, I noticed some of the panning wasn't working. I started looking into it and all of the pan automation I had written was still there, but it was not reading anything. I thought I had accidentally suspended all automation, but pulled up the window and everything was still active. All the tracks are in read status.

I keep trying different things and have found that the track pan envelope appears to be completely disconnected from the pan control on the track I/O section. It's happening on about 5 tracks out of the 7 or 8 vocal tracks I have running right now. What am I missing???

amagras 01-26-2018 03:00 PM

Re: 2018.1 and no Automation

This was officially fixed on 12.8.3, would it be possible that it's broken again or maybe its two different issues that are causing the same behaviour...
I'm going to take a look just in case but I'm on Windows 10.

jre3132 01-26-2018 03:02 PM

I never had it on 12.8.2 or earlier versions...not that it didn't exist....but it was working on every version until I upgraded to the version that supposedly fixed it. Figures....lol

jre3132 01-26-2018 03:20 PM

I created a new track and copied the audio (with pan automation) to the new audio track. I bussed the outputs to the same bgv sub where the original track was going and muted the original track. The new track was before the original track.

The result....the original track started working and the new track didn't. Apparently it's a track order or voice order deal? When I switch the order of the tracks and drag the original track before the new track, the new track works but the original track stops working.

BScout 01-26-2018 03:41 PM

Sounds like the "dynamic voicing" system that re-allocates voices. Used to be useful on HD TDM when you were running out of voices. Lower track numbers took priority when there was audio on the track. Not really necessary in HDX world with the increase in voices. What is the "dyn" setting on the bottom of each track as seen in the mixer window? And how many voices are being used (check system usage)?

jre3132 01-26-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2471434)
Sounds like the "dynamic voicing" system that re-allocates voices. Used to be useful on HD TDM when you were running out of voices. Lower track numbers took priority when there was audio on the track. Not really necessary in HDX world with the increase in voices. What is the "dyn" setting on the bottom of each track as seen in the mixer window? And how many voices are being used (check system usage)?

Yeah, "dyn" in on. I should have mentioned that this particular deal is a guitar vocal. I was mixing a larger file earlier with no issues. This is using 13/256 voices. I was just able to get it to work by duplicating the tracks that weren't working so it either reassigned the voices or re-ordered the tracks. After creating extra tracks, then moving them around, then deleting them, it seems to have reset the pan automation and is reading now. It was a weird combo though where either the original or duplicated track would not work, then switch over to working. Thought I was going crazy watching the lines move, but not the knob...