Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Who gets their name in the credits? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=301148)

bfrazer 05-17-2011 08:38 AM

Who gets their name in the credits?

I notice that many of the people I know who wrote lots of Pro Tools are no longer in the rolling credits in the about box.

But there are some people in the credits who definitely not there any more.

How does Avid decide who to put in and when to yank them?

aka21stCentury 05-17-2011 11:50 AM

Re: Who gets their name in the credits?

This is a good question. Peak invented the 8 track recording system and licensed that to Peter and his partner. Despite what anyone may say here on this forum. Adrian Freed and George Lucas had 4 tracks going on 'the droid' prior to that on a PC, but Bias Peak's invention allowed the transition from SoundDesigner II to the first Pro Tools.

I noticed Maya's credits left out Bucky Fuller who had patented all the 3-D Platonic solids. They also left out Plato. Since Maya is totally based on 3-D Platonic solids it may relate who sold licenses, or patent vs copyright and how to avoid patent infringement by way of 'authoring' code and embedding it in DSP.:(

bfrazer 05-17-2011 07:26 PM

yeah......

Craig F 05-17-2011 07:31 PM

might have something to do with the code still being used or replaced

don't know good question

Bill Denton 05-18-2011 03:50 AM

Boy...and I thought the posts from people who wanted some user interface element to be one pixel wider were the stupidest ever...

It comes down to contracts...if one specifies that credit must be given, well...

Above and beyone contract requirements, Avid can credit/not credit whomever they want to...

sunburst79 05-18-2011 05:40 AM

Some folks create bugs, Some find them, Some swat them.

bfrazer 05-18-2011 07:48 AM

Yes, this is a pretty silly post.

The only thing as silly I have read lately is the claim that computer programmers at Avid have contracts that state what credits they will get.

It is exceedingly rare for programmers to have any kind of contract (I had one briefly during dot-com days).

It is unheard of for such contracts to talk about the minutia of credits. I imagine this might happen in some fields like CG, where Hollywood movie credits are involved.

The only reason it struck me as odd is that the credits are quite clearly a list of current Avid employees, not an actual list of the people who created the software.

btw: for the record I worked briefly at Avid, but do not consider myself a major contributor to PT.

daeron80 05-18-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aka21stCentury (Post 1795171)
They also left out Plato.

Yeah, what is the rule on 4th century BC Greek copyright law? :D:rolleyes:

roberts 05-18-2011 10:24 PM

it's a secret they all under a N.D.A.