Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   S3 monitor inputs 1 & 2 pad/48v not working (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=393638)

raw 09-09-2017 07:10 PM

S3 monitor inputs 1 & 2 pad/48v not working

Hi

My new S3 is set up as a standalone monitor controller as per the Avid Youtube video by Collyer Spreen. Everything works except for the controls for inputs 1 & 2 - which is the connected to the monitoring source via the XLR F connectors on the S3.

The issue is that when I enter monitor mode on the S3, the Sel and In keys on inputs 1 & 2 do nothing i.e. they do not change the state of the Pad or 48v. The Pad (Sel key - green light) is permanently on and the phantom power is permanently off. I have tried all possible permutations of Shift, ctrl etc, have connected and disconnected audio cables and have rebooted many times - and cannot resolve this.

The pads (Sel keys) on inputs 3 & 4 work fine.

The S3 firmware is 1.2.0.108 with appears to be the latest according to EuControl.

Am I doing something wrong and/or stupid?

Thanks
Richard

mattrixx 09-10-2017 05:16 PM

Re: S3 monitor inputs 1 & 2 pad/48v not working

I see this behaviour also. Hasn't really bothered me as I don't use them, but just confirming that that is what I see also.

raw 09-10-2017 07:04 PM

Thanks Matt. Glad to know I'm not entirely crazy.

So, for giggles, I am trying to open a support case for this using my ASC. The Avid support page for this doesn't work - I enter my (brand new) S3 ASC and click Submit, the page flashes and nothing happens. Same behaviour in Safari, Firefox and Chrome. The Salesforce portal is bizarre and doesn't do anything if you try to open a case. Avid is not picking up the phone and the hold music is, well... :eek:

Wow, as a patient 16-year Digi/Avid customer with HDX etc etc this is pretty much the most spectacularly bad experience I have ever had in the pro audio industry. And that's saying something.

EddieJones 09-10-2017 08:49 PM

Hi, sorry you are having this issue...it does ring a bell, I'm sure I've seen this and have seen how to do it. I can ask my QA guy to take a look tomorrow and I'll hopefully post the answer here.

mattrixx 09-11-2017 04:58 PM

From memory, I think it did work in a previous version of Eucon.

EddieJones 09-11-2017 07:27 PM

Are you on the Inputs and not the Talkback/Direct ? Press shift and the encoder to change between them.

mattrixx 09-11-2017 09:08 PM

Yes, definitely Inputs 1 & 2Nothing is switchable. Only the gain control works. (Pad is permanently on, where as switchable on inputs 3 & 4)

S3Mix CS version: 1.2.0.108

raw 09-11-2017 10:45 PM

Yes, I'm definitely on input 1 & 2 and not Talkback/Direct.

raw 09-12-2017 12:38 AM

According to the S3 manual, inputs 1&2 are by default mic level. However, when the monitor source is set to inputs 1&2, this is intended "to monitor an external source such as an audio interface or other playback device." This playback device will be line level, so the signal coming into inputs 1&2 will be line level, not mic level.

So what I am seeing is this: when I set the monitor source to inputs 1&2, the pad switches on and the 48v switches off on inputs 1&2, and I can't toggle these using the keys. When I then set the monitor source to either AVB or inputs 3&4, I can toggle the pad and 48v on inputs 1&2.

This makes sense: when line level monitoring is enabled on mic inputs 1&2, the pad automagically engages and 48v is disabled. Perhaps this needs to to be documented?

Lewis at Sound Devices in Sydney worked this out. Genius! ;)

Richard

P.S. I wonder why I couldn't raise an online support request. Avid - is this working?

EddieJones 09-12-2017 07:17 AM

Thanks for following up and yes we'll add some more details to the User Guide. What number or email were you using for support and what was the reply (if any) ?