Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   DADmom question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414285)

SomeOtherGuy 02-28-2021 09:51 AM

DADmom question

1 Attachment(s)
I have PT Ultimate Native with a MTRX + DADmom. Recently a problem cropped up with my monitoring using the DADmom.

In the DADmom setup I have ProTools Main Out mapped to Source A, and Mac Audio Out via Dante Virtual Soundcard mapped to Source B. I usually set this setup to SUM rather than SWITCH so I can listen to Pro Tools and Mac audio at the same time (e.g., listening to QT mov files while auditioning audio via PT).

A new issue has appeared however. If I have both Source A and Source B buttons lit to hear both SUM sources, and listening to Apple Music on the Mac, if I deselect PT Source A, the volume drops by about 6 db on Apple Music. Same as if I'm listening to Pro Tools Source A and deselect Mac Audio Source B, the Pro Tools level drops by about 6 db.

This only happens about 50% of the time, and in fact while writing this the problem has temporarily disappeared.

I'd like to solve this because it affects my meter levels in Pro Tools. For that reason I set the DADmom to SWITCH as often as I can, but I'd prefer to leave it in SUM.

Pic of my DADmom setup attached.

Any advice appreciated...thanks.

creativecontrol 02-28-2021 12:34 PM

Re: DADmom question

Greetings,

Are you engaging any fold downs ever? Are you driving DADman from just the software or also EUCON with or without MOM?

The monitor section of MTRX / DADman should have absolutely no bearing on the metering in Pro Tools. Pro Tools is simply a source input via DigiLink into the summing of additional sources contained within your primary Monitor in the DADman monitor profile.

Are you then using a meter output perhaps to send -> back into Pro Tools with an AAX metering plug-in?

Let us know a few versions if you don't mind:
DADman
MTRX Firmware mainboard cpufw
DVS & Dante Controller
macOS Version

Any other relevant details. Thanks!

Jeff

SomeOtherGuy 02-28-2021 12:59 PM

Thanks Jeff-

I'm not using EUCON; just a DADmom configured through its software.

I see there is a newer version of the DADman software and MTRX firmware.

Here is the version I'm currently on:

MTRX. cpufw: 2.3.1.3, matrix 1.1.23.2, recovery 1.2.1.1
DADman ver. 5.4.2.1 (5.4.2 build 1)
Dante Controller ver. 4.2.3 (4.2.3.1)
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

I have a single FOLD DOWN to Mono.

I am not using a meter output back into Pro Tools with an AAX metering plug-in. I may be describing the signal flow incorrectly, but I do hear these volume drops when 2 Sources are engaged on the DADmom.

Looks like I should update everything first to see if the problem goes away...

Thanks--

creativecontrol 02-28-2021 01:32 PM

Good plan. It is also recommended to click "Remove Unused Groups" from the Monitor Profile window - if you've never done this in the process of building or revising your primary monitor profile.

Jeff

SomeOtherGuy 02-28-2021 03:02 PM

I see the DAD site has version 5.4.5 while Avid's version is 5.4.4.

Is it advisable to go with Avid's older version, or okay to use DAD's?

creativecontrol 02-28-2021 04:38 PM

For MTRX or MTRX Studio 5.4.4.2 is recommended. 5.4.5 does not add any functionality for MTRX family products.

best,

Jeff

SomeOtherGuy 02-28-2021 04:42 PM

Thanks--