Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Xmon Question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387283)

Barry Johns 12-16-2016 11:57 PM

Xmon Question

Is there any advantage to using the main and surround outputs if I'm not doing surround?

My main studio Monitors are fed by the Cue Outputs.

Still trying to decide if I want to use my 2nd cue send for my second set of monitors, or use it as designed for my second cue send.

This whole Xmon wiring thing is kicking my butt. They made it way harder than it needed to be.

I'll take all the advice you are willing to give.

Drew Mazurek 12-17-2016 05:05 AM

Re: Xmon Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Johns (Post 2401695)
Is there any advantage to using the main and surround outputs if I'm not doing surround?

Still trying to decide if I want to use my 2nd cue send for my second set of monitors, or use it as designed for my second cue send.

This whole Xmon wiring thing is kicking my butt. They made it way harder than it needed to be.

Barry,
Do you have the install guide? Get that pdf, it spells it all out and it's easy.

You def want to use the main and alt speaker outs for speakers and the cue outs for cues. The D Command's monitor controller area is labeled accordingly and all that would be wrong if you did it the way you're saying. For example, do you want to control your main monitors by having the adjust the Cue1 control on the desk? Nope!! Also, things like auto talkback and auto listen mic operation (two of the best parts of X-Mon) wouldn't work.

Spend the time to set it up the way it was intended, you'll be happier in the end.

Drew Mazurek 12-17-2016 07:12 AM

Also, did your unit come with the lean overlays for the automation "write to" changes?

Blue units have old labeling on them for these functions, which have changed, and Avid sent out a lean overlay to "fix" the issue.

arche3 12-17-2016 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2401712)
Barry,
Do you have the install guide? Get that pdf, it spells it all out and it's easy.

You def want to use the main and alt speaker outs for speakers and the cue outs for cues. The D Command's monitor controller area is labeled accordingly and all that would be wrong if you did it the way you're saying. For example, do you want to control your main monitors by having the adjust the Cue1 control on the desk? Nope!! Also, things like auto talkback and auto listen mic operation (two of the best parts of X-Mon) wouldn't work.

Spend the time to set it up the way it was intended, you'll be happier in the end.

This![emoji344] [emoji344] [emoji344]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Marsdy 12-17-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Johns (Post 2401695)

I'm not sure why you're not using the main speaker outputs on the Xmon? I only ever work in stereo so if outs 1-2 on your interface are your main output pair you need to crosspatch output two to input 5 on the Xmon main inputs (the right input.) I do this on my patchbay but keep meaning to get a D-sub cable made up so that connection 2 at the Pro Tools interface end connects to connection 5 at the Xmon input end with all the other channels left unconnected.

arche3 12-17-2016 09:25 AM

The pinout on xmon is slightly weird because I think they favor post houses. But regardless it is pretty easy to setup if you just follow the pinouts. Set it up proper like others suggested to use the icon to its full potential

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Barry Johns 12-17-2016 01:48 PM

Ok, took all the advice, thanks very much by the way. Side note, I am so glad I hung on to all my old DB25 cables, because you need a bunch of them!!!!! So much I/O waisted to accomodate Surround, anyway, I digress.

Now on to another issue I'm having, and this one is really strange. I have a Sub in my studio. I setup all the Monitors as I always have.

Main Ourtput D-Sub 1 & 5 cables, for L/R from Xmon, out to my Sub L/R In, L/R Out of my Sub to my Main Pair of Studio Monitors. Studio Monitors are working fine, but now, no Sub, at all. I unplug either the L or the R input to the Sub, the Sub kicks in. It does the same regardless if I unplug on of the two inputs coming from the Xmon to the Sub, or either one of the Sub Outputs that feed the Studio Monitors. There is no way this is all of a sudden an Issue with my Sub, its brand new and the odds are its working fine.

It acts as if I'm getting Phase Cancelation.

Any ideas?

Barry Johns 12-17-2016 07:26 PM

Ended up being a bad D-Sub cable.

Barry Johns 12-17-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2401732)
Also, did your unit come with the lean overlays for the automation "write to" changes?

Blue units have old labeling on them for these functions, which have changed, and Avid sent out a lean overlay to "fix" the issue.

As far as I know, I did not. Anyway you could take a picture of what you are talking about and post that?

Any idea where I can get one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

YYR123 12-18-2016 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2401732)

Also interested in this as well

Southsidemusic 12-18-2016 01:24 AM

We had one for our older D Command Blue a long time ago and it was a Lexan overlay, just a plastic piece you put ontop of the monitor section for auto write if I remember correctly and we got it from Avid. Just send them an email and i am sure they will be able to let you know if they have any left. I think we ordered ours like 2008-2009 so maybe those aren't stocked anymore. Hope they are :o

Here is an old thread with Chris Lambrechts

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1479726&postcount=3

Stig Eliassen 12-18-2016 01:56 AM

Here's a picture.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Overlay.jpg

Drew Mazurek 12-18-2016 05:01 AM

Thanks Stig.

Didn't realize ES models needed them too!

Stig Eliassen 12-18-2016 05:19 AM

Pre PT 8 (?) I had to use the overlay, but not these days. Do you have the same button layout on yours?

Drew Mazurek 12-18-2016 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen (Post 2401855)
Pre PT 8 (?) I had to use the overlay, but not these days. Do you have the same button layout on yours?

The one you have on yours is the correct current one. Same as mine.

YYR123 12-18-2016 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen (Post 2401855)
Pre PT 8 (?) I had to use the overlay, but not these days.

So you guys are presently using the overlay for correct button function? For PT12?

Drew Mazurek 12-18-2016 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2401868)
So you guys are presently using the overlay for correct button function? For PT12?

yes, it was changed years ago and has been that way since then.

Stig Eliassen 12-18-2016 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2401868)

No. I had to with PT 7. I skipped 8 and 9, but could remove the overlay with 10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2401871)
yes, it was changed years ago and has been that way since then.

Are you sure? Haven't used the overlay in years. :confused:

Drew Mazurek 12-18-2016 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen (Post 2401873)
No. I had to with PT 7. I skipped 8 and 9, but could remove the overlay with 10.

Are you sure? Haven't used the overlay in years. :confused:

The one you have on now, is the corrected one. :D

EDIT: I see, the ES models had the right way on the metal work, but they sent you an overlay for the "old way" (the way my blue is labeled on the metal work)

Stig Eliassen 12-18-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2401875)
The one you have on now, is the corrected one. :D

EDIT: I see, the ES models had the right way on the metal work, but they sent you an overlay for the "old way" (the way my blue is labeled on the metal work)

Right. Now we're on the same page. :D

Drew Mazurek 12-18-2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen (Post 2401883)

Weird with regard to the chronology. When ESs came out they were labeled correctly, so why give you an overlay for the old way? It must have gone back and forth I suppose?

Stig Eliassen 12-18-2016 08:53 AM

I agree. If I remember correctly they implemented the change in hardware (ES) first, and then planned a change in software/firmware for later.

Barry Johns 12-18-2016 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen (Post 2401883)

I'm a little confused, are you saying that the overlay you have, is the exact same overlay that I need?

If I'm understanding everything correctly you have an overlay, but you never really needed to use it, is that right?

If the overlay that you have, is the one that I need, and you don't need it, would you be willing to sell it to me?

Drew Mazurek 12-18-2016 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No, Stig has an ES. So his silk screening is correct and the overlay he has isn't what you need.

Your silk screening is wrong, so you need the overlay with the correct labels.

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1482080842

Barry Johns 12-18-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2401897)
No, Stig has an ES. So his silk screening is correct and the overlay he has isn't what you need.

Your silk screening is wrong, so you need the overlay with the correct labels.

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1482080842

Understood!

Barry Johns 12-22-2016 03:42 PM

I contacted Avid and they are sending me the Overlay, they charged me $28 bucks that includes shipping and handling.

TopStudioMiami 02-26-2018 10:06 AM

I do not have audio in the CUE outputs, I have everything connected correctly, does anyone know what happens?

arche3 02-26-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopStudioMiami (Post 2477470)
I do not have audio in the CUE outputs, I have everything connected correctly, does anyone know what happens?

Is the cue outputs coming off a pair of stereo outs from your interface? 192io. Or HDio?

Is the 5 pin connector connected from xmon to d control or d command?

List exact cable connections you have.

TopStudioMiami 02-26-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 2477527)
Is the cue outputs coming off a pair of stereo outs from your interface? 192io. Or HDio?

Is the 5 pin connector connected from xmon to d control or d command?

List exact cable connections you have.

Which 5 Pin connector? I have connected the DB15 of my D-Command in the XMON ...

HD I/O -> Main input
Main Output (1-5) - > Monitor L&R
HD I/O -> CUE in
CUE output 1&2 -> headphone amp (musician)

But, I do not have audio in the headphone section of the D-Command. I can not hear the CUE from any selected source, But I can listen to my speakers normally.

PTPerson 03-01-2018 09:11 PM

Did Avid supply a new lexan with correct auto functions?

How did you go about this?

Cheers,
Stef.

TopStudioMiami 03-01-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTPerson (Post 2478077)
Did Avid supply a new lexan with correct auto functions?

How did you go about this?

Cheers,
Stef.

I do not understand ... can you explain yourself better?

francois 03-02-2018 05:18 PM

I'm looking for the part # of the overlay
Thanks
Francois

YYR123 03-02-2018 07:05 PM

I can look in my email and see if I still have the part number

YYR123 03-02-2018 07:20 PM

I didn’t find the email with the part number - sorry

Stig Eliassen 03-02-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by francois (Post 2478201)
I'm looking for the part # of the overlay
Thanks
Francois

A bit blurry...

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387491

PTPerson 03-02-2018 09:10 PM

Thanks, I have contacted support.

Stef.

francois 03-04-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen (Post 2478214)

thanks

PTPerson 03-05-2018 10:09 PM

Heard back from the repair centre here in Australia, the part isn't available unfortunately.

Stef.

TopStudioMiami 03-05-2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTPerson (Post 2478634)
Heard back from the repair centre here in Australia, the part isn't available unfortunately.

Stef.

Today I received this response from Avid.

“Entered on: 3/5/2018 7:12 PM Entered by: Danny

Hello Santiago,

It looks like you have possible hardware issue with you D-command (Blue).The problem is D-Command ( blue) already reached its end of life at Avid on December 31, 2014. Meaning we don't repair it and we don't have any spare parts anymore. I would suggest that you contact one of our authorized repair center which is near your place and asked them if they still have spare parts or can still repair your D-Command. With your XMON, you can try setting it up on another Pro Tools system so that you can determine is it has issue. If you have questions, kindly email me back.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...roduct-Repairs

Regards”

francois 03-10-2018 02:13 PM

I contacted 2 repair center so far with no luck on the overlay