Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Will Avid ever invest in new plugins again? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398617)

Justin1524 04-12-2018 12:20 PM

Will Avid ever invest in new plugins again?

As Pro Tools Ultimate boasts old plugins access as if they're the latest and greatest, it got me to wondering. When was the last time Avid even launched a brand new plugin or VI? From my Googling the last time I believe was 2013, about 5 years ago.

Here's a few dates that come to mind:

2013 Pro Series plugins (example: pro compressor)
2011 Avid Channel Strip
2008 Bomb Factory plugins (example BF2a)
2005 Air Virtual Instruments (example mini grand)
2005 Air Plugins (example dverb)

Avid - what's in the pipeline for new plugin development either from you, from a company you're co-releasing with or purchased and rolled into Pro Tools from a third-party company?

Also, why not make all Avid plugins compatible with Waves Soundgrid? Why not purchase Slate Plugins and include them in Pro Tools? Or McDSP? Or Softube? Then you'd really have an Ultimate package eh?

Drew Mazurek 04-13-2018 04:47 AM

Re: Will Avid ever invest in new plugins again?

My 2 cents.

You want Avid making Pro Tools, not plugins, just like you want Softube making plugins not a DAW.

Marcel Risberg 04-13-2018 04:52 AM

I’m with Drew.

Southsidemusic 04-13-2018 11:00 PM

I for one would Love it if Softube made a DAW! Those guys are geniuses and would make the best DAW ever and maybe inolving PA in that venture :-)

But Drew - I get what you are saying and agree with the setiment.

BScout 04-14-2018 12:16 AM

Avid isn't exactly cash flush seeing as they keep teetering in the financials.

AIR plugins came from buying Wizoo and their team (Dverb existed before AIR)
Bomb Factory company was bought
Pro Series, to a large extent, were a port of the Euphonix developments after Avid bought Euphonix

The story of Waves and Avid and the change over to HDX is a big one and Avid went way beyond what people realize to try to keep Waves happy. Porting Avid plugs to Waves hardware only helps Waves sell more hardware. And costs Avid money (which they don't have.)

I'd rather Avid concentrate on the DAW and hardware. Leave plugins to others. If the DAW ecosystem is rich with potential customers, plugin developers will come.

But while I do get why a bunch of new users really want more free plugins -- I want a more robust DAW instead.

crizdee 04-14-2018 12:51 AM

Hi,

I always thought Avid are missing out on a potential huge income from plugins. Even the old one's could be sold better and offer deals. Waves are selling plugins today on offer that are over a decade old!! but they let Waves, PA and others offer deals and get the income.

Chris

JFreak 04-14-2018 01:53 AM

What are you missing here? How many different EQ's you need? How many different compressors? How many different reverbs?

JFreak 04-14-2018 01:54 AM

Well actually, to answer to my own question, I'd like Avid to create a delay plugin that is actually musical and easy to use. Like Massey's for example.

amagras 04-14-2018 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2484702)
I for one would Love it if Softube made a DAW! Those guys are geniuses and would make the best DAW ever and maybe inolving PA in that venture :-)

But Drew - I get what you are saying and agree with the setiment.

Imagine the price of a DAW made by a company that charges 300 for an EQ!

Southsidemusic 04-14-2018 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2484727)
Imagine the price of a DAW made by a company that charges 300 for an EQ!

True but the Console1 mk2 is a fantastic unit and priced very good so maybe their daw would be a bit more than logic x however, PT isn't what I call cheap either :D