Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Eventide Eclipse: Any good if you've got plugs? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=29888)

syra 03-29-2003 07:35 AM

Eventide Eclipse: Any good if you\'ve got plugs?

Hi guys...if any of you have the eclipse I'd like to know what it does better compared to plugins (chorus/flange effects compared to metaflanger for example).
Can it do something plugs cannot do? Is the quality much higher? Why should I buy it?

thanks, syra

D Clarkson 03-29-2003 07:58 AM

Re: Eventide Eclipse: Any good if you\'ve got plugs?

I don't have the Eclipse,but I have used some impulses with Soundforge on pc.
In my opinion it's really a special FX unit to make weird or ambient noises.
I wouldn't use it on every vocal mix,but it's a very nice unit indeed! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

5down1up 03-29-2003 08:08 AM

lend it a ear , its a killer

BradLyons 03-30-2003 12:46 AM

Eventide processors are certainly very unique to say the least. They are most known for effects such as their pitch-shifting, harmonizers, detuning, spacey effects, etc... but many don't realize just how good of a reverb and multi-effects processor their gear is as well. I used to own an H3000 years ago and actually would rent (5) of them to use solely for detuning of toms on my drum tracks (I now use a DSP4500 with an HD3). The processor in the Eclipse is 7 times that of the 3000 allowing for better code which means MORE capability. Obviously, the converters have been greatly improved as well. As a multi-effects processor, Eventide really has no competition because the sound is just so unique. It's NOT like the Lexicon v/s TC Electronic debate.... it's just different. You're going to start seeing (this year) Eventide plugins for HD starting with their vintage line of products. I don't think we're going to see Orville or Eclipse plugins for quite a LONG time, so for now the Eclipse really is a great investment. I've used it quite a few times and have sold several, ironically.... MOST of them were to HD users.

tal herzberg 03-30-2003 08:12 AM

I've been beta testing Eventide's 5 new HD plugs (910, 914, Instant Flanger, Instant Phaser, Omnipressor) and I can safely say I'm blown away! These are some of the most unique, best sounding plugs I've ever heard in my life, great interfaces, class all over. They realy nailed it. I hope they'll eventually migrate their entire line to plugins format, because there's still only one Eventide.

BradLyons 03-30-2003 09:54 AM

I would love to see an Orville for HD! Even if they charge say $2995 for it, that saves $2,000 over the hardware and well.... no physical labor or hardware that must be paid for. Just a thought....

StainedClass 03-30-2003 04:17 PM

Speaking of a eventide vs tc debate....

Is eventide harmonizer as good or better than tc?

I have seen the tc promo whuch boasts "dosnt sound like chipmunks" Is this true or as true as eventide?

Johnny Jam 03-30-2003 05:44 PM

The latest TC electronics vocal processors incorporates format shifting, so the vocal sounds pretty natural up to a fifth or so. Eventide is the king when it comes to micropitch shifting, but try a fifth and you will hear the chipmunks.

BradLyons 03-30-2003 06:10 PM

Well if you're doing a re-make of the introduction to the Wizard of Oz, you're in luck :-) The harmonization and pitch shifting in the upper end Eventide boxes are awesome, but most people are not using them to drastically shift the voice... but more of a subtle effect. I've always used the pitch-shifting in Eventide to detune guitar tracks and individual tom tracks to fatten them up.

amiller 03-30-2003 09:28 PM

I've just started doing this, literally the other day. I can't say for certain yet, but the box is fantastic. I've been using it in my guitar rig for a little while now. I suggest you post this question to the eventide users group on their yahoo forum. Italo from Eventide will tell you everything you need to answer your question. Good luck!