Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   7.4 Opening New Session Problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=242199)

RichrdC 03-22-2009 04:35 PM

7.4 Opening New Session Problem

After opening 7.4, I'll click the new session button, screen comes up to name the new session.. I name it and click to begin, but an error message I'd never seen, 'Session must be an audio record volume. If permitted, set the volume(s) in question to "R" (record) in the workspace'

So I go to the workspace and I can see the different column headings. Name, A,V,Kind, Size and many others.Under colum heading Kind, I see my two drives, the C and the E, E being where I store all my sessions being shown as Volume drives. The row with my "C" drive, under the A & the V (For Audio & Video I assume) columns is the capital letter R. When I right click the R, a drop down appears with three options, Transfer, Playback and Record, so the C drive must be a record volume for both audio & video..

Now along the row for the E drive, under columns A & V, is the small letter p. I assume that's for playback.

Going back to the error message..... it seems to be telling me the new session I'm trying to work in needs to be an audio record volume, but the E drive where I do all my work is designated as a playback ( the letter p) volume. When I right click the p, the dropdown appears so I'll try to change the E drive to an R, record volume. Problem is, it won't let me, or as the error message say, if permitted,.. well, I'm not permitted... Instead, I get this message..... 'SEA_DISK" (My external E drive) cannot be designated as an Audio Record volume because it is formatted as a FAT volume." ??? Now what the heck is that? I've tried referencing FAT volume in the 7.4 manual and nothing comes up. Does the FAT volume relate to the 7.4 Elastic Time capability?

I've got no problems opening already existing sessions and working in them, but as of now, I can't begin a new session, and I'm perplexed as to why.. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Thank you, RichrdC

RichrdC 03-23-2009 06:21 PM

Re: 7.4 Opening New Session Problem

Please, I'm frozen till a little help arrives. Is it so simple that I'm a total twit to not see the answer right in front of my nose?? Please if anyone has any idea of where to try to take care of this issue.. Thanks in advance.

TOM@METRO 03-24-2009 03:04 AM

Your session drive is formatted FATxx. You need to fornat the drive NTFS basic. Move anything you need to keep to another drive, then reformat.

robro86 04-04-2009 10:01 AM

I'm silly, how do you reformat the drive after you clean it?

robro

RichrdC 04-04-2009 10:42 AM

Go to Start,Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, then double click Computer Management shortcut Icon...On the left, under Storage you see Disk Management, click on that and the right will populate with your drives... MP7.4 needs to have the File System NTFS... Click the drive to format, and here's where I get a little foggy, my drives are all formatted as I want and I don't see the format command, but I know if any drive is of the FAT32 type, you'll have a format command within one of the folders on the left. Right click each folder and I know you'll find it because I did!! Good luck....Hope this helps

RichrdC 04-04-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robro86 (Post 1378422)
I'm silly, how do you reformat the drive after you clean it?

robro

TOM@METRO 04-04-2009 02:20 PM

Don't forget NTFS "BASIC".

robro86 04-04-2009 04:09 PM

Ugh I'm on a mac - I just searched the problem but I didn't check the OS. Sorry about that.

robro