Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Midi Piano Notes Randomly Not Sustaining (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408996)

Cayce 03-21-2020 02:51 AM

Midi Piano Notes Randomly Not Sustaining

1 Attachment(s)
I have a MIDI piano track that is displaying an annoying anomaly where it will suddenly decide it's not going to allow notes to sustain. On one pass, all will be fine. Stop and start again and the notes are all staccato. I've played with various cache and buffer settings, but nothing seems to have any effect. I'm running 32gb of RAM, no other programs open, the environment dedicated to PT. I've attached a shot of my System Usage to show where things are at the moment.

Would like to get this worked out so I can stay on task.

Thanks.

musicman691 03-21-2020 04:22 AM

Re: Midi Piano Notes Randomly Not Sustaining

Do you have a MIDI keyboard connected? I started a thread here were I outlined the problems I was having with my Motif 7 keyboard apparently sending out spurious things like volume changes and notes cutting off.

Reading your equipment list I'm sure you know this but that Fusion drive in your Mac isn't helping things any. They've been known to cause all sorts of issues. That may or may not be the cause here - just saying.

ChuckS 03-21-2020 06:06 AM

Check in the manual for chasing controllers and breakpoints.

Cayce 03-22-2020 03:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, Jack/musicman691;

I tried doing a Quick Reply to your post, but apparently the "Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply" suggestion is another of those endless things designed to aggravate the hell out of us, since there doesn't seem to be any such thing as a "Quick Reply Icon" in any of the posts.

A year or so ago, while updating to Mohave, the hybrid drive you referred to had to be replaced because Mohave didn't support it. I believe what I have now is a single SSD, based on the attached report image. But this does bring up a question: I've heard PT performs better when files are on an external drive. Is that the case, and—if so—why would that be?

I'd like to follow you "Motif 7" thread but can't find it. Could you send a link to that?

Thanks

Cayce 03-22-2020 03:26 AM

Chuck S;

Searching the reference guide and Avid knowledge base, nothing comes up for "chasing controllers and breakpoints".

musicman691 03-22-2020 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayce (Post 2557840)
Hey, Jack/musicman691;

I tried doing a Quick Reply to your post, but apparently the "Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply" suggestion is another of those endless things designed to aggravate the hell out of us, since there doesn't seem to be any such thing as a "Quick Reply Icon" in any of the posts.

A year or so ago, while updating to Mohave, the hybrid drive you referred to had to be replaced because Mohave didn't support it. I believe what I have now is a single SSD, based on the attached report image. But this does bring up a question: I've heard PT performs better when files are on an external drive. Is that the case, and—if so—why would that be?

I'd like to follow you "Motif 7" thread but can't find it. Could you send a link to that?

Thanks

First things first:
Yeah it's very confusing with the 'quick reply' business. I'd been on here for years and never understood until one day I asked someone where it came up in a thread and they explained it. When you go to the last post on a page on the lower left there's a 'post reply' button. Click on that and that allows one to use the 'quick reply' window. It's really misnamed to tell the truth. So don't feel bad about it.

Second:
Hard to tell from your screen shot as I don't think you show everything. Here's a link on how to tell if you have a regular Fusion drive and whether it's been split: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

Lastly:
Here's a link to the Motif 7 thread (it's called 'debugging can drive one batty'): http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408947

ChuckS 03-22-2020 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayce (Post 2557841)
Chuck S;

Searching the reference guide and Avid knowledge base, nothing comes up for "chasing controllers and breakpoints".

Page 777 of the most recent manual under the heading: Default Controller Values and Chasing
It's in the chapter on MIDI Editing if you have a different manual version.

amagras 03-22-2020 05:31 AM

I've seen this with Sonivox plugins, if this is a similar case the only workaround is to turn off loop playback and loop record.

JFreak 03-22-2020 08:14 AM

Midi Merge is your most probable problem

Cayce 03-22-2020 02:42 PM

Lots of stuff here:

ChuckS: Thanks. I'll make sure I have the latest manual and check that out.

JFreak: Good suspect, but in my case Midi Merge is off. Thanks, though.

amagras: A likely suspect... loop play/record are on most of the time in my situation. I'm hoping it's something else, though. Having to manually loop playback is going to be a PIA.

Jack/musicman691: You're right: I do have a fusion drive, after checking it out based on the link you gave. That might be the culprit on multiple issues, then. The external drive setup just seems like a violation of the rule of "shortest distance between two points," but I'll give it a shot here. Would an SSD be better than a physical disk drive, or should I just swap out my internal 2TB Fusion for a 2TB SSD?