Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   How to: Move Audio Within Seperated Region Only (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=326601)

xstortionist 08-11-2012 03:11 PM

How to: Move Audio Within Seperated Region Only

How can I move only the audio within a seperated region?

I've tried everything and can't figure it out.

Everytime I move the region, it's move it's on the timeline, all I want to do is move the audio within the seperated region where it's currently at on the timeline.

Any ideas? Also, is it possible to automatically create crossfades when you seperate a region? Reaper has both of these options, I just hope pro tools does as well.

Using Pro tools 10 here.

The Weed 08-11-2012 03:23 PM

Re: How to: Move Audio Within Seperated Region Only

See the Keyboard Shortcuts document, it's one of your best Pro Tools friends.

For moving audio within a region, IIRC, it's Start + Num Pad "+" or "-" for PC and Control + Num Pad "+" or "-" for Mac. Remember, it won't work on whole files. There has to be "unshown" audio for the audio to be able to move.

In vanilla Pro Tools 10 there is no automatic fades generated when a region is cut. That's only in the CPTK or HD. However, there is Batch Fade and this can be set to any value you want. Highlight the region(s) you want fades on and hit Ctrl + F on PC or Command + F on Mac to open the Batch Fades Dialogue. Set the parameters you want - pay particular attention to "Adjust existing fades" and be sure to uncheck this parameter, otherwise any fades you've already applied to the highlighted region(s) will be changed to the setting in the Batch Fades dialogue - and click okay. Once you've set the Batch Fades parameters where you want them, just hightlight the region(s) you want fades on and hit the "F" key in Commands Focus Mode.

Cheers,

xstortionist 08-11-2012 03:30 PM

is it possible to move the audio without using the keyboard? I'd like to use the mouse and not the keyboard to move the audio.

xstortionist 08-13-2012 04:44 PM

Does anyone know how to do this without using the keyboard and only using mouse?

albee1952 08-13-2012 05:29 PM

Try SLIP mode(assuming you are in GRID mode right now). Otherwise, maybe we)me anyway) are not really understanding the question. Audio is a region, so the question is a tad confusing.

xstortionist 08-13-2012 09:27 PM

" For moving audio within a region, IIRC, it's Start + Num Pad "+" or "-" for PC and Control + Num Pad "+" or "-" for Mac. Remember, it won't work on whole files. There has to be "unshown" audio for the audio to be able to move."

This works exactly how I want it to, but I don't want to use the keyboard to move the audio within the region, I want to use my mouse instead.

bacchus40 08-13-2012 11:19 PM

thats the only way i've ever moved it myself... never known of any way to do it with a mouse...

EGS 08-14-2012 06:44 AM

In Slip Mode, use the Grabber Tool (with the mouse) and slip the region to wherever you want it. Search the Pro Tools Reference Guide for details.

Stig Eliassen 08-14-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xstortionist (Post 1956488)
" For moving audio within a region, IIRC, it's Start + Num Pad "+" or "-" for PC and Control + Num Pad "+" or "-" for Mac. Remember, it won't work on whole files. There has to be "unshown" audio for the audio to be able to move."

This works exactly how I want it to, but I don't want to use the keyboard to move the audio within the region, I want to use my mouse instead.

Only way to move the content in a stationary clip, is to nudge the audio within it. Unfortunately, you can't nudge with the mouse.

clausiii 08-14-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xstortionist (Post 1955976)
Also, is it possible to automatically create crossfades when you seperate a region? Reaper has both of these options, I just hope pro tools does as well.

Why do you need crossfades when you just seperate regions? in that case there is no need for a fade.