Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Protools 11 wont respond (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=354884)

VOS2013 05-26-2014 09:15 PM

Protools 11 wont respond

Ok just bought and downloaded (erased and redownloaded and tried that method) Protools 11 and it is not responding when I open the software. Have iLok (gen 2) have downoaded the drivers and downloaded, searched, and clawed for answers but have found no resources :mad:
I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 for my I/O and this is an upgraded version of PT 11 from Mbox2 6.8 Anyways any suggestions tips would be appreciated!
Using Windows 8 and a 2.4 GHz Dual Core Processor with 4GB Ram (system Minimum) but i am getting more RAM 8 GB total tomorrow)
Thanks in Advance!

Victims of Sanity
Tyler,TX

VOS2013 05-26-2014 10:58 PM

Re: Protools 11 wont respond

Ok finally got prottols to respond...about 2 hours later after opening....It is running extremely extremely slow!! Any suggestions? I dontwant to close protools now that it is up and running but I also need to get thsi resolved have been wracking my brain for about 4 hours while the GF is scowling at me ready to attack like gnolls in blackburrow!

musicman691 05-27-2014 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOS2013 (Post 2159558)
Ok finally got prottols to respond...about 2 hours later after opening....It is running extremely extremely slow!! Any suggestions? I dontwant to close protools now that it is up and running but I also need to get thsi resolved have been wracking my brain for about 4 hours while the GF is scowling at me ready to attack like gnolls in blackburrow!

Well getting more ram will help. Your cpu is on the slow side though but outside of putting in a new chip there's not much you can do about that.

Do you have a separate drive for PT to record to? Partitions on the system drive don't count. Also any drives must be non-green drives with a minimum speed of 7200 rpm or even better ssd's and never allow them or your system to sleep when running PT.

Have you optimized your system per Avid recommendations? Google for it or search here for that. In general Black Viper's site has good optimization recommendations for a variety of things. Along with this - are you running any unnecessary services or programs? Anti-virus programs and anything that does indexing will mess things up.

Your graphics setup - is it an onboard chip? PT doesn't like those.

PT is not plug and play software. You will have to become something of a geek and have patience while you learn the system. Do so and you will be rewarded well; go mucking about willy-nilly and you WILL have issues.

sw rec 05-27-2014 07:34 AM

Check your BIOS and see if there's a floppy drive controller (even if you don't HAVE a floppy drive, or even a PORT for a floppy drive, there might still be a controlller. Odd, huh?) And if there is one, disable it. That'll help.
Other thing...follow that "help us help you" link at the top of the forum page, and post a sandra report, so we can have a good look at your hardware. And as mentioned above, a secondary hard drive is a must.

GTBannah 05-27-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2159583)

.... also, any drives must be non-green drives ....

What are those? :confused: :-)

sw rec 05-27-2014 09:20 AM

Green and Blue drives have built-in "power saving" features, which makes them really bad choices for audio drives, much like it's a bad idea to have any screen savers or power saving schemes. BLACK drives are good old "on all the time" drives.

GTBannah 05-27-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw rec (Post 2159646)
Green and Blue drives have built-in "power saving" features, which makes them really bad choices for audio drives, much like it's a bad idea to have any screen savers or power saving schemes. BLACK drives are good old "on all the time" drives.

Well, well, well. I never knew that. Maybe the stores near me only sell "black" drives. None, and I mean, NUNN, of the stores ever asked me what "colour" I wanted, when I went shopping. :D

mesaone 05-27-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBannah (Post 2159665)
Well, well, well. I never knew that. Maybe the stores near me only sell "black" drives. None, and I mean, NUNN, of the stores ever asked me what "colour" I wanted, when I went shopping. :D

Here's an example, in case you haven't seen any of the "green" or "black" drives.

WD Green drive (they call the power-conservative design "intellipower")

WD Black drive

VOS2013 05-27-2014 12:59 PM

I have a degree(yeah they give those out like candy) in audio engineering and I actually used my degree professionally (imagine that) :eek:
I know my way around audio very well...computers suck imho I am not a computer expert by any means and I really want my investment to work since I am in about 1100 bucks so far (including RAM) just to have Protools 11 and a current interface Sapphaire 18i20. Enough gear labeling lets get down to it processor speed is 2.4 GHz Ram is 4gb but getting 8gb Windows 8

Should I just get a new system? Dedicated hard drive...Glyph drive? I am not running a seperate graphics card...[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] this is audio not video (I know it can be used for video and audio editing last time i used the video editing feature was in 2006 PT 6 ?)
I could care less about the video side of things yes it is cool ripping meta data off of DVD's and putting your own ADR to it but I want Audio Recording.

So New system? or upgrade the crap out of this one? It is a laptop with mininum requirements.

sw rec 05-27-2014 01:55 PM

Any good BLACK drive (7200 rpm) should be sufficient. You didn't say if you're on a desktop or laptop, though.
Not sure a dual-core has enough horsepower to run PT 11.
Integrated graphics are PT show-stoppers, yes.
Disable floppy in BIOS yet? Trust me on this one...
Post a Sandra report so we can see what you have NOW. Then we can tell you if you need a new system or not. Thing is, this is a very ELITE program, and has some pretty specific hardware requirements to work correctly. (Unlike some "hobbyist" programs that run on just about anything.)