Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   False Avid Advertising (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=360970)

roberts 11-20-2014 07:16 PM

False Avid Advertising

Perhaps the marketing team should try to get their customer communication right.
I got this email today

The marketing Dept:
Why Should You Upgrade to Pro Tools | HD 11?
Save up to 40% and get more advantages if you act now

Upgrade at a lower price than before—save up to 40% off previous upgrade pricing

What's really going on:
There is no Avid discount on HD 11 upgrades they are the exact same price as they were since HD 11 came out. At AES were we told that HD 8 owners could upgrade for same price as HD 9 owners then that was walked back quickly...
What's going on in all that fog in Daly City?

DigiTechSupt 11-20-2014 07:59 PM

Re: False Avid Advertising

Quote:

Originally Posted by roberts (Post 2205447)
Perhaps the marketing team should try to get their customer communication right.
I got this email today

The marketing Dept:
Why Should You Upgrade to Pro Tools | HD 11?
Save up to 40% and get more advantages if you act now

Upgrade at a lower price than before—save up to 40% off previous upgrade pricing

What's really going on:
There is no Avid discount on HD 11 upgrades they are the exact same price as they were since HD 11 came out. At AES were we told that HD 8 owners could upgrade for same price as HD 9 owners then that was walked back quickly...
What's going on in all that fog in Daly City?

It's not false advertising... it says "up to" since the upgrade from PTHD9 or PT9+CPTK was $999 and is now $599 (40% less).

Regards,
JC

Barry Johns 11-20-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 2205454)
It's not false advertising... it says "up to" since the upgrade from PTHD9 or PT9+CPTK was $999 and is now $599 (40% less).

Regards,
JC

JC, that's not what he saying, what he saying is at AES he was told that as a ProTools HD8 owne, he can upgrade to ProTools 11 HD for 599. Whereas now, you have to have at least ProTools HD9 to get the 599 upgrade price. I have to admit I was very confused with that, as I also was ready to shell out 599 to upgrade my ProTools HD eight license. This was a secondary lisense that I also own.

My only reason for wanting to upgrade that version of ProTools, was at least I know I would always have my version of ProTools HD 10, regardless whatever was done by Avid as we go forward.

JFreak 11-20-2014 10:52 PM

That is probably (?) because all PT8 HD systems would be TDM systems that cannot run PT11 at all, therefore not eligible for upgrade. In case I remember this correctly, first PT11 capable HD systems were the HDN PCI-e cards, which came with PT9

Alio 45 11-21-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 2205454)

Regards,
JC

It is false advertising, I got an email telling me to upgrade to PT11 and save up to 60%.

I already own PT11 so how is this an upgrade? How is paying $199 to go from PT11 to PT11 a saving of up to 60%?

Alio 45 11-21-2014 01:04 AM

How about some incentives at least. Some people are comparing this to the Waves WUP. I've had issues with the waves model in the past but at least they give incentives.

Last week i renewed part of my WUP at a cost of $81 and they sent me a $50 e voucher. I put this towards a bundle that was discounted from $500 to $100, I got the bundle for $50.

Waves made another sale and I was happy - winners all round.

CygnusX-1Bk2 11-21-2014 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alio 45 (Post 2205499)
How about some incentives at least. Some people are comparing this to the Waves WUP. I've had issues with the waves model in the past but at least they give incentives.

Last week i renewed part of my WUP at a cost of $81 and they sent me a $50 e voucher. I put this towards a bundle that was discounted from $500 to $100, I got the bundle for $50.

Waves made another sale and I was happy - winners all round.

Waves have gotten really smart with well placed sales and pricing on products that have given me incentive to buy after resisting purchasing Waves for so many years. That and their products got a hell of a lot better too. I will never feel the need for their Mercury bundle (or whatever name they come up with for the next grandiose version) but at least I can enjoy their modeled plugs at a reasonable price. Not to mention they have been on version 9 for a few years almost.

KV626 11-21-2014 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alio 45 (Post 2205497)
It is false advertising, I got an email telling me to upgrade to PT11 and save up to 60%.

I already own PT11 so how is this an upgrade? How is paying $199 to go from PT11 to PT11 a saving of up to 60%?

Come on... EVERYONE gets the email... No big deal! PT 11 owners will pay less to get on the program, the details have just not been released yet. Licensing page is very clear.

Bill Denton 11-21-2014 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2205481)
That is probably (?) because all PT8 HD systems would be TDM systems that cannot run PT11 at all, therefore not eligible for upgrade. In case I remember this correctly, first PT11 capable HD systems were the HDN PCI-e cards, which came with PT9

I could be wrong, but I believe there was an 8.5 update that was needed to go to HDN when it first came out...

JFreak 11-21-2014 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Denton (Post 2205558)
I could be wrong, but I believe there was an 8.5 update that was needed to go to HDN when it first came out...

It can very well be my bad memory, too. Either way, some one of us is wrong :D :D :D

Seriously.

I took a quick look at PT WIKI and it says that:

Quote:

On October 6, 2010, Avid released Pro Tools HD Native
...and...

Quote:

On November 4, 2010, Avid released Pro Tools 9
So if that is correct, then IMO it should be possible to upgrade PT8HD to PT10/PT11