Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   back to protools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=336618)

geeball 03-31-2013 10:26 PM

back to protools

hello all

i have a question ...i had a flood in my home and my digi 003 rack got destroyed ..
i want to get back into the protools game but a little confused on what i need to get to get back using protools

i still have my protools ilok with all my liscences on it
and i want to be able to use all that i have i have all the instruments and effects with pt 8

whats my cheapest way to get back so i can use protools again and still use everything thats on my ilok ? what audio interface should i get? i dont need many inputs or outputs ill be doing all in the box..

but i still want to able to use some of the older pluggins example d2/d3 bundle from focusrite just not looking to spend alot of money hope you understand thnks gee

Shan 03-31-2013 11:24 PM

Re: back to protools

What about the used market for another 003? There's also the Mbox 3 and Eleven Rack hardware you might want to consider.

Shane

sunburst79 03-31-2013 11:25 PM

If you still have the iLok your good since its what's holding your licenses. Just go download and install the plugs.

Since your interface is destroyed and you want to simply edit and mix in the box I would look for a used Pro Tools 9 license. Version 9 and later no longer require Avid or Digi hardware so you can get by with just the Macs Core Audio driver and the onboard sound. Other than that I would just pick up a Digi used interface with a copy of PTLE 8.0

Bill Denton 04-01-2013 03:24 AM

Of course the floodgate (pun intended) has now been opened and we'll soon see thousands of posts from people who don't even own one b*tch*ng becase the 003 is not waterproof.

The OP if course excepted as he wasn't complaining...

SpinningDisk 04-01-2013 05:00 AM

How do you know your 003 is gone? Did you open it up and let it dry out? I found and old Harmon Kardon at a yard sale. Brought it home, opened it up and cleaned it out with a garden hose(water). Left it open in the sun all day. Closed it up. Plugged it in and Contact. Worked like a charm.
You never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

sunburst79 04-01-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinningDisk (Post 2022683)
How do you know your 003 is gone? Did you open it up and let it dry out? I found and old Harmon Kardon at a yard sale. Brought it home, opened it up and cleaned it out with a garden hose(water). Left it open in the sun all day. Closed it up. Plugged it in and Contact. Worked like a charm.
You never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I'd wait a couple of days but its worth a try. I'd relube all the faders afterword.

There's a DUC member that used o run a IT shop near London and they leased a lot of equipment. Every couple years they would lose stuff when the Thames would flood. But he remarked that they would hose the mud out with a fire house and let the stuff dry out for a month and salvage about 50% of it

Ben Jenssen 04-01-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeball (Post 2022617)
whats my cheapest way to get back so i can use protools again and still use everything thats on my ilok ? what audio interface should i get? i dont need many inputs or outputs ill be doing all in the box..

Absolutely cheapest way?
Original MBox. 40 bucks on ebay::
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digidesign-M...item2a2a86907c

Edit: You'll have to be aware of the PT and OS versions for compatibility, as this is OLD.

geeball 04-01-2013 05:15 PM

yes the 003 has been tested and was deemed as bad not repairable

i just want to be able to run all the pt pluggins and all pluggins that are pt only

i also use logic and abelton and was thinking of trying out cubase 7

i really do not need but maybe 2 ins 2 out tops no outboard gear hear all in the box

ill be running the newest operating system i guess .. i am getting ready to order a new macmini for apple

does this change things that i am going to be using the newest os from apple ?
if so please advise so i make the correct purchase so i am able to use all my old pluggins ... thnks guys all feed back is greatly appreciated

albee1952 04-01-2013 05:35 PM

A new Mac(any model) will have Mountain Lion and that means LE8 is out(won't work). I think I'd be looking for a new Mbox Pro with Pro Tools 10 software:o

geeball 04-01-2013 08:33 PM

albee i pmed you privately guess you dont read them hahahhaha

can i still use my older pluggins with 10 and that interface? i was told by a rep at sweetwater that you cannot use the older rtas plggins with pt 10 is that true ? i still want to be able to use all my rtas pluggins with whatever new pt interface i use just not looking to spend alot of cash...

can i use the digi 003 rack ? will that work with pt10 ..i can go on ebay to see if i can score one of them ....just dont want to be told that i cannot use with newest os from apple and pt10

so if i get a used digi 003 rack from ebay i should be fine to use it with macs newest os and the newest pt10 correct ..? sorry if this is confusing just trying to do this one time you know ...thnks to all