Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Protools vs Digital Performer (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=29448)

Imagine 03-03-2003 01:44 AM

Protools vs Digital Performer

I've been a DP user ever since it was released, so I'm very familiar with the program/ features/sound. Lately, I've been thinking about switching over to PT/TDM.

I guess my main concern is, for those of you who made the switch, was it worth it, and do you find that Protools/converters are better than DP and its converters?

Thanks in advance.
Imagine

pookadilly 03-03-2003 08:42 AM

Re: Protools vs Digital Performer

First of all, you do understand that you can use DP on the front end instead of the ProTools software right? The HD Core system will of course bring you unbelievable power since everything runs on the cards and not on the host processor on the computer. You will be able to use TDM plug-ins as well.

With regards to the converter comment, yes, the Digi converters are much better than the MOTU converters, however, I always recommend using the Digi 192 Digital I/O and Apogee converters on the front end. That's where your sound will truly shine. Clock it all with the new Apogee Big Ben as well and you'll be extremely happy. The jitter ratio on that thing in unreal (next to nothing).

Your conversion, cabling, and clocking are abolsutely the most important elements in a digital studio. Choose Monster Studio Pro 1000 and M-Series cabling (m-series for AES/EBU, SP1000 for everything else except the wordclock cables which you should get directly from Apogee or an authorized Apogee dealer).

Hope that helps!

nostatic 03-03-2003 09:07 AM

the question is, why do you want to switch? If you are able to do what you need to do, then spending money on new hardware and taking the time to learn new software is a bit of a waste...unless you like to spend money on new hardware and take time to learn new software.

As far as converters, it depends on what you are using now.

Are you more midi, more audio, or a mix? What track counts do you normally run? Do you use virtual instruments? Do you need to be in OSX now? All of these things go into choosing what system is best for you. PT is strong in some areas, weaker in others. Same with DP and Logic.

Extreme Mixing 03-03-2003 09:08 AM

If you are using the program mostly for midi stuff and programing, then you will probably be happier using the DP for a front end. You do loose out on a few features, like quick punch. If you're mainly recording and mixing, then Pro Tools is far superior to DP. The PT mixer is great and TDM plugs are, as a whole, the best assortment out there. You do have to have a big set up to really make it rock. I have a mix with 4 farms, and I can do pretty much whatever I want without running out of DSP.

By the way, does anybody know what's up with the MOTU interfaces? They are advertised as +4, but anything above -10 or so on an analog meter is sure to produce an over. And when the over light comes on in DP you are sure to hear the clip. Is there no electronic specification for +4 input levels? I really believe that analog pre amps and compressors have a sweet spot, but you certainly can't come close to it in MOTU land. I never hear anyone complaining about this.

Steve

Mark Wheaton 03-03-2003 09:35 AM

also, forgive me if I am wrong, but the MOTU interfaces do not have the clocking options of the Pro tools HD interfaces with their loop sync and the sync I/O.

nostatic 03-03-2003 09:51 AM

the 896 is switchable to -10 or +4

What clock options do you want? There is WC in/out, and you can sync via the AES input (I do this with a Rosetta).

EJolson 03-03-2003 10:11 AM

Something that's always bugged me about the MOTU interfaces, is that word clock appears to get passed from box to box via AudioWire. E.g., in my old setup I had a 2408mkII, a 308 and a 1224. The whole rig derived its clock from a SINGLE word clock input (usually the 2408 which was slaved to an AardSync II). Then the other boxes would "magically" derive their sync from the AudioWire network.

Considering that word clock is supposed to be so fragile and sensitive to cable length/extra buffer stages etc., this never inspired my confidence. Not to mention I always experienced clock glitches, clicks/pops etc. on at least one of my digital boxes (usually whichever one WASN'T the "master" in the MOTU setup).

If you can get your MOTU rig down to a "one-box" setup, you might never experience the problems I did. However, it really seems like amateur hour dealing with that company sometimes. Don't even get me started on their abysmal tech support.

Markk 03-03-2003 10:13 AM

I just made the switch from exactly your position. I was a DP user since performer. I love DP and I miss my familiarity with it....but, I had a recent session mixed in Pro Tools and I was hooked...here's my 2 cents:

1. I mix and record audio almost 99% - even play Giga and virtual instruments through Neve and API pres and record them as audio tracks. Pro tools is exceptionally stable and easy to use. More like a traditional big console and deck.

2. I was looking at buying a new G4, an apogee 8000se, mackie UAD, and mackie control but I jumped up to protools HD3 with a 192i/o for the same price. For those of you looking for a great price check out Sam Ash pro.

3. Sound Quality - made 2408 MKII sound like a toy.

4. TDM HD plugins are much better than native. IMO. I don't even think it is the same ballpark.

5. It is expensive to upgrade the plugs like waves - but the DUY, MCDSP are worth it. Amp farm, reverb one, even the digirack plugs - all great.

6. I have recorded and mixed in many big studios (analog situations) and I now feel like I can really compete with a mix done in my personal studio. Put DUY analog and MCDSP analog channel in and you have a really great sound. The best that digital has ever seen to this day.

7. I have already gotten work because I now own a 'Pro Tools' system. Recording, composing and mix work I would never have gotten owning DP.

Do you record all analog? Do you make money doing music? Are you looking to become a pro tools engineer? A lot to think about.

I am very happy with my decision.

EJolson 03-03-2003 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pookadilly:
Clock it all with the new Apogee Big Ben as well and you'll be extremely happy. The jitter ratio on that thing in unreal (next to nothing).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is the Big Ben supposed to be "better" than the Aardsync/Lucid boxes?

Anyway, are you sure you can clock your PTHD rig from the Apogee? I thought the "approved" method of running Apogee converters w/PTHD was to slave your AD8K to the 192IO... not the other way around. Somebody light me up here.

pookadilly 03-03-2003 11:15 AM

EJolson:

This is straight from Apogee. Grab as many 192 Digital I/O's as you need inputs into your rig. Use Apogee Converters (preferreably the SE version of the PSX-100 because the things just smokes) on the front end. Use Big Ben as the master clock source (yes it's way better than Aardvark products) and slave everything in the entire studio to Big Ben (you can also chain Big Ben's together if you need more clock i/o).

I guarantee you'll love the setup. It's simply amazing.