Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Miking up a Banjo (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406773)

xrekcor 10-16-2019 11:12 PM

Miking up a Banjo

Hey all,

Never attempted to mike and record a banjo. Just seeking any tips.... got one to do this weekend in the studio.

Cheers

JFreak 10-17-2019 04:57 AM

Re: Miking up a Banjo

one small-diagphram condenser one foot away pointed between hands?

musicman691 10-17-2019 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2541567)

I'd point it a bit more towards the body. Also preferably a mic that doesn't have a hyped top end.

JFreak 10-17-2019 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2541571)
I'd point it a bit more towards the body. Also preferably a mic that doesn't have a hyped top end.

pointing to body hypes bottom if it's something else but omni

musicman691 10-17-2019 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2541572)
pointing to body hypes bottom if it's something else but omni

Don't forget banjos tend to be a bit more biased towards the high end anyway; I was just thinking to mellow that out somewhat. Of course if you have a ribbon mic handy..........

JFreak 10-17-2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2541573)
Of course if you have a ribbon mic handy..........

Royer 121 anyone :cool:

64GTOBOY 10-17-2019 08:03 AM

+1 for ribbon

xrekcor 10-17-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2541567)

Was what I was thinking too

xrekcor 10-17-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2541571)

Maybe try padding out the resonator a little?

xrekcor 10-17-2019 08:20 AM

I don’t actually have a ribbon mic.... yet. But can get a loan of one I think.

cwsand 10-17-2019 04:42 PM

Listen to it in the room first and see how it sounds - if you don't like the sound, see what you or the player can do to improve it. Use 2 or 3 mics in different locations and see what sounds best - move them around if you need to. Record all of them so you have options later. It also could make a difference in how you mike it as to what kind of song you're recording.

xrekcor 10-18-2019 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsand (Post 2541646)
Listen to it in the room first and see how it sounds - if you don't like the sound, see what you or the player can do to improve it. Use 2 or 3 mics in different locations and see what sounds best - move them around if you need to. Record all of them so you have options later. It also could make a difference in how you mike it as to what kind of song you're recording.

Thanks for your input... will be placing a couple of room mics.

JFreak 10-18-2019 11:40 AM

Always nice to try multiple mics if you have limited time and only one take, but I think the question was what would be the best educated guess how to record with one mic

xrekcor 10-18-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2541754)
Always nice to try multiple mics if you have limited time and only one take, but I think the question was what would be the best educated guess how to record with one mic

My first initial thought was a small diaphragm condenser about 11” from the face of the banjo just below where the neck joins the body.

Also thinking of adding an sm57 to the small condenser under and over shotgun style with the sm57 on the finger board. Plus 2 room mics I have a pair of TLM103’s to use.

JFreak 10-18-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2541800)
about 11”

Pardon me my french, does that mean "little less than a foot"... bcs in here we have metric system, inches and feet are so strange :p

musicman691 10-18-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2541806)
Pardon me my french, does that mean "little less than a foot"... bcs in here we have metric system, inches and feet are so strange :p

27.5 centimeters = 11 inches. Think about it this way - Celestion V30's have that name because they're 30cm across aka 12 inches in the rest of the civilized world :-)

Ever hear of a Marshall cab referred to as a 4x30? Neither have I - they're called 4x12's. Rolls off the tongue easier.

albee1952 10-19-2019 06:02 AM

14 posts and not a single banjo joke.............I am impressed:D:D I also use an SDC pointed at the neck/body joint(well treated room);)

Will Russell 10-20-2019 03:52 AM

I have recorded banjo for decades. Is this old time clawhammer or bluegrass style with a closed back? They produce different sounds and play a different role in their respective genres. In either case a small diaphragm condenser pointed toward the head below the right hand is a good start and will produce a nice result. I have also loved using a U87 in the same position. And on a couple occasions an SM57 was the best. Audition the mics in the context of the music.

xrekcor 10-20-2019 02:47 PM

Ended up using 1 x SE4 and 1 x sm57 both pointed towards neck/body joint.... sm57 on top with SE4 just below. Came out pretty good didnt bother with a room mic. One thing that did show up. When the players fingers hit the strings it created a tap sound which I initially thought was his fingers hitting the banjo skin.... never noticed this before, is slightly annoying but seems to disappear somewhat in the mix. And for the record about 10” :)

Style was closed back claw hammer in a pop song.

Banjo joke.....

This bloke was heading off to a banjo gig, he stopped off to get some beers and accidentally left the rear window down in his car..... frantically remembering his mistake he ran back to his car to find three more banjos in the back seat.

cwsand 10-20-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2541854)
14 posts and not a single banjo joke

Well I live in Georgia now so...

cwsand 10-20-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2541754)

All the more reason to listen to it in the room before miking it, though I didn't see anything about using just 1 mic.

JFreak 10-21-2019 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsand (Post 2542004)
All the more reason to listen to it in the room before miking it, though I didn't see anything about using just 1 mic.

Yes, and listen to the room itself. Sometimes you get best sound in the corner, sometimes in the middle. I have a habit of clapping hands while walking around, listening to the reflections from the walls. After doing it for +20 years I have a pretty good idea where I want to place that mic even before the artist brings the instrument to the room :D

musicman691 10-21-2019 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2542012)
Yes, and listen to the room itself. Sometimes you get best sound in the corner, sometimes in the middle. I have a habit of clapping hands while walking around, listening to the reflections from the walls. After doing it for +20 years I have a pretty good idea where I want to place that mic even before the artist brings the instrument to the room :D

Who was the engineer that when people interviewed him in his studio he prevented them from clapping so they couldn't figure out the sound?