Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   S3 AVB not all Macs compatible (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=362245)

The Saxplayer 12-23-2014 02:29 PM

S3 AVB not all Macs compatible

Hi all,

I just added an S3 to my Protoolsrig sand I am trying to enable the audio interface. Audi Midi setup won't show me the network device browser claiming my mac is not avb compatible.

At some stage I got a message saying: enable AVB click assist me but then I don't get any option to enable AVB.

I am running a Mac Pro 2010 Quad core Intel Xeon 2x2.4 GHz 12 GB Ram
Mavericks 10.9.5

It would be really uncool if this Mac would not allow me to use the inbuilt I/O.

I am currently looking into a workaround for the fact that HDX is not playing back safari Audio or Youtube....

Thanks for helping

Georges

The Saxplayer 12-23-2014 02:37 PM

Re: S3 AVB not all Macs compatible

Dooh!

Computer: The following Apple Macintosh computers are qualified for AVB audio streaming with S3.
Note that the models listed below must be equipped with a Thunderbolt port to be compatible
Mac mini
iMac
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air**
*Mac Pro computers are not qualified at this time,
**Pops and clicks in the audio stream may be experienced with Macbook Air models on OS X 10.9.x

MacPro not compatible....???

Kyle Splittgerber 12-23-2014 09:04 PM

Re: S3 AVB nbot all Macs compatible

Hey Georges,

Regarding Mac Pro computers and AVB, only the 2013 Mac Pro supports AVB since that is the only model with Thunderbolt. So no, unfortunately your 2010 Mac Pro doesn't support AVB.

The Saxplayer 12-24-2014 12:48 AM

The Problem is that the Company who sold me the S3 knew my Computer Config and they did not warn me.

Now I cannot use the I/O. I have also no plans to upgrade my computer anytime soon. Maybe the Laptop at some stage.

Different topic but related to my problem.
Would you know if there are any plans to make the HDX compatible with Core Audio? I cannot playback Youtube content which I sometimes have to do.

Thanks

Kyle Splittgerber 12-24-2014 01:49 PM

Sorry to hear that. AVB is a new technology in the studio space, so perhaps the dealer wasn't familiar with the requirements?

HDX is compatible with Core Audio, but the driver isn't multi-client so you can't use HDX as PT engine and Core Audio sound device simultaneously. Is that what you mean? A workaround would be to route optical SPDIF out of the Mac to optical SPDIF in on the HD interface.

Egprod77 06-07-2016 04:26 PM

I My Avid S3L-X works fine with my MacPro 3,1 (2008)

:-)

made 06-08-2016 03:17 PM

try this

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/prestogigpro.html

YYR123 06-08-2016 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2214963)
Hey Georges,

Regarding Mac Pro computers and AVB, only the 2013 Mac Pro supports AVB since that is the only model with Thunderbolt. So no, unfortunately your 2010 Mac Pro doesn't support AVB.

how and why does TB have anything to do with the S3 running audio? it connects to the computer via a cross over ethernet cable right?

mesaone 06-09-2016 12:01 AM

I'm guessing TB and AVB capability were first included on the same Mac Pro model, so the TB port is an easy way of identifying compatible models by sight.

Brandonx1 06-09-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egprod77 (Post 2362480)
I My Avid S3L-X works fine with my MacPro 3,1 (2008)

:-)

It seems like Avid has AVB divers for Venue systems that they don't have for Pro Tools systems. I don't get it.