Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mac OS9 data CDs not readable in OSX? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409111)

Marsdy 03-28-2020 04:36 AM

Mac OS9 data CDs not readable in OSX?

I need to drag some files off some data CDs that were written back in the late 90s on a Mac. That would be OS9 era I think?

I’m using an Apple SuperDrive and none of multiple disks I’ve tried will mount in OSX Catalina. Does anyone know of a way to make them readable? The SuperDrive is working fine.

musicman691 03-28-2020 04:42 AM

Re: Mac OS9 data CDs not readable in OSX?

Maybe the cd's themselves are the problem? Those things don't last forever you know. I've seen old cd's and dvd's with the internal layers failing.

JFreak 03-28-2020 07:26 AM

Most likely bad media. AFAIK there should not be anything different in how OS9 and OSX burn ISO9660 format, a.k.a. CD-ROM. Even if yours had HFS in it, OSX should be able to read it.

Marsdy 03-28-2020 08:48 AM

It seems unlikely every disk would be faulty. I’ve tried over 20 now written over a two year period from various reputable manufacturers.

JFreak 03-28-2020 09:16 AM

That certainly sounds strange. Back in the day I remember PC needed extra software for reading certain Mac CDROM that were not burnt as hybrid, but first I hear OSX cannot read OS9 media

musicman691 03-28-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsdy (Post 2558618)
It seems unlikely every disk would be faulty. I’ve tried over 20 now written over a two year period from various reputable manufacturers.

Doesn't matter. I have boxed collections of Doctor Who reboot dvd's done by BBC from Chris Eccleston through Matt Smith and almost everyone is unplayable due to the media delaminating - you can see the colors when you look at the back of the disks. It's not the normal silver but looks like black & blue from bruising one's body. And these collections are less than a decade old.

EGS 03-28-2020 10:09 AM

Hmmmm ... to troubleshoot, I'd try a different computer.

Marsdy 03-28-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2558626)
Hmmmm ... to troubleshoot, I'd try a different computer.

Exactly! I’m going to try my studio Mac running Mojave tomorrow. I was wondering if Catalina security was blocking things. My laptop running Catalina is reading data CDs/DVDs written in early OSX versions fine, just not OS9 disks.

John_Toolbox 03-28-2020 04:59 PM

Iirc, there was a warning about old cd Roms not working around 10.10.x from chicken systems, saying you need to convert all of your old libraries before upgrading. I have a lot of old cd-r backups from the OS9 era... I’ll see if I can test a few of them to see if they load up on newer Mac OS.

Interestingly enough, I was always taught in the early 2000’s that CD-r was the most stable form of backup. It may have been at the time, but certainly not a preferred form of backup today. The thing I hate the most about it is I had large sessions that were split across multiple CD-Rs because they only held 700mb. I have hard drives that are over 10 years old that still spin up and work fine. Definitely not relying on them as a main form of backup, but it’s interesting to see how well they hold up.

Marsdy 03-28-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Toolbox (Post 2558704)
Iirc, there was a warning about old cd Roms not working around 10.10.x from chicken systems, saying you need to convert all of your old libraries before upgrading. I have a lot of old cd-r backups from the OS9 era... I’ll see if I can test a few of them to see if they load up on newer Mac OS

That’s very kind of you John. Let me check if I can read them in Mojave in the morning and I’ll report back before you go to any trouble.