Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How close is too close for monitors... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=211828)

Nicholasguitar 12-14-2007 05:55 PM

How close is too close for monitors...

I remember someone telling me once that if you leave a hard drive too close to a speaker, you can lose data through demagnetizing it. I have a MBP running LE and I have some Rokit 5s on the same surface about 1ft away from each end of the MBP. If when turned up, can I possibly loose data or eventually ruin something... same questions goes for the visual monitor as well (as far as placing audio monitors next to a visual monitor)
Nick

paul_g 12-14-2007 06:05 PM

Re: How close is too close for monitors...

Good question. I have my external HD's sitting right beside my Left Monitor.

Craig F 12-14-2007 06:13 PM

well about 9 years ago, as a test we left a 3.5" floppy from a digital camera on top of an NS-10 all day and everything was readable when we checked it

Len8 12-14-2007 07:55 PM

Most standard "quality" near field monitors have magnetic shielding so they don't interfere with CRT monitors. That shielding would reduce the impact of monitor magnetic fields from harming drives.

Craig F 12-14-2007 08:10 PM

yes, there are speakers that have shielding but the venerable NS-10s don't have shielding or bucking magnets

Nicholasguitar 12-15-2007 02:28 PM

Might be one of those things that's talked about but never happens... hopefully.

paul_g 12-15-2007 08:31 PM

well, I'm in IT and had to destroy data on disks before disposing of them. Me and some colleagues bought these huge honkin' magnets (from a tape destruction device)... Each magnet weighed about 10 lbs each! Put the right on top of the drives.

When we put the drives back in the PC's, they booted up without issues. We looked at each other and laughed. We figured it wouldn't work, but gave it a shot...

So, needless to say, the magnets on the back of your monitors probably won't do anything to your HD, but the possibility always exists...

OddsAre 12-15-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

I have a MBP running LE and I have some Rokit 5s on the same surface about 1ft away from each end of the MBP. If when turned up, can I possibly loose data or eventually ruin something...

First of all 1 ft away is more than adequate, considering as someone previously said, modern nearfield monitors are usually shielded. Normally to erase a tape or hard disc you would use a circular motion as oppose to just placing it at a constant distance and waiting. I am quite cautious none the less and always keep my externals away from magnets, its a good practice. Lastly turning the monitors up won't increase the amount of power of the magnets. Even at full blast it won't be any better or worse, it will be the same as if no audio was running through it.

Conclusion is: use common sense and keep your hard drives away from magnets, keep your monitors as far away from your laptop as will allow an optimal equilateral triangle between them and your sweet spot, and always back your system hard drive up on a regular basis in case the inevitable happens. You are probably more likely to have a hard drive failure than to have your monitors erase your hard drive.