Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Vocal reverbs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=42760)

jampater 12-20-2001 06:35 PM

Vocal reverbs

Every time I add reverb to the vocals using D-Verb or the other plug-ins I have (True Verb and Renaissance) our Norwegian diva complains that it sounds as if she's singing into a box/plastic bucket. She says she wants something "warmer" and "more open." I tend to agree, but I am not making much progress getting a more satosfactory result. Can anyone recommend some basic settings for any of these plug-ins which might do the trick? Or do you need the right hardware to get really nice reverbs? (In case it matters: we do dance pop stuff and more or less after an Abba type vocal sound.)

d cham 12-20-2001 06:54 PM

Re: Vocal reverbs

Try rolling off some of the highs with a high shelf EQ should make things sound round. You can also take out some mud by rolling off the lows with a low cut (high pass) filter.

Also timing your pre-delays and decay times to the music would also help clean things up. In a TDM system I have also tried two instances of D-verb one insert after another.

Let me know if this helps!

where02190 12-20-2001 09:21 PM

Forget the plug-in and get a real reverb.

carloswarlick 12-20-2001 09:35 PM

Realverb is one of the only plug in verbs I ever kinda liked! Try it & use one of the plates.

lwilliam 12-21-2001 10:46 AM

You'll never get close to anything but a grainy spring reverb imitation with D-Verb.

You already have the Renaissance Reverb and it's pretty nice. You should be able to fiddle with the EQ settings (roll off the low end) and get something satisfactory (not GREAT, but at least OK). Add some pre-delay also.

Realverb seems to be the best-sounding "Lexi-like" plugin verb available for RTAS, but it's only a poor-man's substitute for a PCM91 or better.

I think ABBA used a lot of plate reverb sounds, didn't they?

Also, try adding chorus to all but the lead vocals: another ABBA trademark.

BTW, your studio isn't in a box or a plastic bucket, is it? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Part of the sound is the ROOM you use for recording those vocals.

jampater 12-21-2001 04:22 PM

Thanks to those who have responded to me query so far. I find that D-Verb sounds the worst of the three plug-ins, but it does have the most user friendly settings, at least for the complete novice. Which is why I foolishly persisted for so long! True Verb sure sounds better, but I can't manage the controls at all - I have no idea what most of them mean. Renaissance Reverberator definitely sounds the best of my three verbs, and the settings are easier to grasp than those on True Verb. But I think the problem is something you would get on ALL plugins (and outboard gear as well?), which is an unpleasant boom on lower frequencies on most reverb settings. I didn't actually realize that you could modify the EQ settings inside a reverb plug-in, but now I know I should get better results in future. Thanks to everyone who pointed out the qualities of Realverb. I'll bear that in mind, but it does sound like I should be looking at purchasing some hardware in future, at least when I can afford it.
http://www.garageband.com/milehighclub

geojack62 12-21-2001 06:26 PM

I´ve tried everything under the sun to avoid having to get a Lex 960, which I can´t afford. :-) Tried every reverb hard- and software to get even near a big Lex.......nope. Even the big TC won´t do. :-)
The Lexiverb plugin is the best I´ve found, but still isn´t as warm as the hardware Lex. A trick I like to use with my PCM 80 is to use pretty much of predelay on ballads with a short verb reverb time. But I´ll have my mix done in a studio with a Lex 960. Too bad, but a big verb means big bucks.
Merry X-mas to you all,
George

c.evans 12-21-2001 07:38 PM

I own a TC M2000 and I find it to be very satisfying. In true stereo mode which utilizes both engines, the halls and plates are rich and smooth. It is a very nice box for the price.
Realverb is a nice RTAS verb if you want to save some bucks. Also try layering two or more verbs on a vocal. It can be very nice to use a short ambient verb combined with a longer ballad plate.

Good Luck!!

where02190 12-21-2001 08:35 PM

Don't think good reverb has to cost big bucks.
Check out the Sony V-55, and then listen to it on our Listen page.

Christoph1123 12-22-2001 09:22 AM

The Korg Oasys PCI card has a great reverb on it called O-verb. It's now like $399 at Guitar Center. I use it in tandem with the 001 and PTLE. I cant believe more of the 001 users don't really mention this or have it themselves. It's an incredible compliment to the 001 host based system we all have.

Genuinely, Chris